FEATURED EVENTS IN VANCOUVER
The hotly anticipated Fair at the PNE is opening this Saturday, giving guests the chance to fly through the air like an Angry Bird, witness magical marvels and meet an alien.
The annual fair is offering hundreds of new performances and exhibits to enjoy this year, alongside our beloved favourites and plenty of food trucks full of guilty pleasures.
New this year is the Angry Birds Universe Exhibit, The Art & Science Behind A Global Phenomenon, featuring kids’ ziplines and giant foam pigs.
Also new is UNBELIEVABLE: A Magical Experience, a showcase of award-winning magicians from around the world, including everything from illusions to escape acts.
There will also be a new Festival Park, celebrating Canadian summer, in anticipation of Canada’s 150th birthday and a new Alien Worlds and Androids Exhibit.
Don’t worry though – as usual, you’ll be able to find your old favourites, including SuperDogs, the Craft Beer Fest, Dueling Pianos and the Summer Night Concerts.
This year’s artist lineup offers something for fans of all genres, with big names including Hedley, The Sheepdogs, Simple Plan, Olivia Newton-John, The Monkees, and Chris Isaak.
And if you want to eat your fill of heart-stopping treats, there is much to seek out at this year’s fair, including Big Pickle Corndogs, Gourmet Elephant Ears and Butter Chicken Fries.
- 10 crazy new foods to try at the 2016 Fair at the PNE
- 15 artists to headline The Fair at the PNE 2016 concert series
Most exhibitions and shows are free with admission.
Note that the Angry Birds exhibit will set you back $5 for kids aged 14+, or $3.50 for kids aged six to 13. Craft Beer Fest is $9 online or $10 at the door, and $2/beer ticket.
You can save on general admission by visiting on one of the following days:
- Heroes’ Opening Weekend – free gate admission for First Responders and a guest on Saturday, August 20 and Sunday, August 21, from 11 am to 10:30 pm
- Promotional Tuesdays – free gate admission for everyone, on August 23 and August 30, from 11 am to 1 pm
- Vancity Member Day – Vancity members and a guest get $5 admission on Thursday, September 1, from 11 am to 10:30 pm
Where: Pacific National Exhibition – 2901 E Hastings St, Vancouver
When: Saturday, August 20 to Monday, September 5, from 11 am to late; closed August 22 and August 29
Tickets: $17 at the gate, $13 online