Sofina Foods Inc. is recalling Compliments brand Chicken Nuggets across Canada due to possible Salmonella contamination.
The initial food recall warning issued on January 25, 2019, and has since been updated to include additional product information found during the Canadian Food Inspection Agency’s (CFIA) food safety investigation.
- Canadian chocolatier Purdys is about to release its first vegan chocolate bar
- The line is RIDICULOUS for China's first-ever Tim Hortons (VIDEO)
The following product has been sold nationally excluding Quebec.
If you have these recalled products the CFIA is asking you to throw them out or return them to the store where you purchased them.
Symptoms of a Salmonella infection typically start six to 72 hours after exposure to a contaminated product, and can include fever, chills, diarrhea, cramps, vomiting and nausea.
Most people who become ill from an infection will fully recover in a few days, according to health officials, although individuals can be infectious for up to several weeks.
Infants, children, seniors and people with weakened immune systems are most at risk for serious illnesses related to Salmonella infections.
It is difficult to know if a product is contaminated with Salmonella because you can’t see, smell or taste it.
To lessen the risk of Salmonella, the following food safety tips are offered by public health officials:
- Wash your hands with soap and warm water for at least 20 seconds before and after handling fresh produce.
- Cut away any bruised or damaged areas on fresh produce, since harmful bacteria can thrive in these areas.
- Wash fresh produce thoroughly under fresh, cool, running water, even if you plan to peel them.
- Don’t soak fresh produce in a sink full of water.
- Use a clean produce brush to scrub items that have firm surfaces like cucumbers, oranges, melons, potatoes, carrots.
- Use one cutting board for produce, and a separate one for raw meat, poultry, fish and seafood.
- Place peeled or cut fruits and vegetables on a separate clean plate.
- Use paper towels to wipe kitchen surfaces, or change dishcloths daily.
- Sanitize countertops, cutting boards and utensils before and after preparing food.