The City of Vancouver has announced several event cancellations following its decision to cancel gatherings with over 250 attendees to further combat the spread of COVID-19.
In an announcement this afternoon, the city says the following events are either cancelled or postponed:
City-run events, permitted events, and events booked by third-party organizers are under review.
The Park Board also announced on social media that in addition to increased cleaning measures, staff will begin to monitor and limit the number of users at the swimming pools at the Hillcrest and Killarney Community Centres so that they don’t exceed more than 250 users. Steam rooms and saunas will be closed until further notice.
- See also:
All Park Board community centres, fitness facilities, rinks, and sports fields continue to be open to the public.
Other steps that the city is taking to fight the spread of the virus include the following:
- Posting signage at all facilities reminding members of the public and staff to stay away if they are feeling sick
- Activating the City Business Continuity plans to ensure we can maintain our core city services, such as water, sewers, police and fire
- Ensuring business critical staff have the right tools should they need to work from home
- Working with the business community to assess and understand economic impact and potential strategies
- Responding to questions from the public and our staff, and re-directing to Vancouver Coastal Health as needed
The city also reminded the public of steps it can take to help stop the spread:
- Remain at home if you are feeling sick
- Wash your hands
- Cover your cough or sneeze
With coronavirus on the rise, the BC Ministry of Health is reminding individuals who attend events and large gatherings to monitor their health for signs and symptoms of COVID-19. And if you’re not feeling well, they recommend staying home at this time. Also, due to unexpected cancellations, please check the event you plan to attend is still taking place. Keep up with COVID-19 news here.
With files from Vincent Plana