The New Westminster municipal election is around the corner and there are plenty of candidates to choose from.
Trying to narrow down who to vote for can be difficult, especially if you’re in the millennial age bracket.
With the help of the Forum for Millennial Leadership (FML), Daily Hive has worked to create a list of candidates under 40 running in the New Westminster municipal race.
Coté has served as mayor for New Westminster for the past four years. He was first elected when he was 35. According to Coté’s website, he has as a 50-point platform that includes initiatives such as:
- Creating a Mayor’s task force on the local economy
- Implementing free outdoor fitness programs
- Upgrading and improving Columbia SkyTrain station
- Designing the expansion of Westminster Pier Park via a community-led process
According to Nakagawa’s website, she is committed to the following:
- Housing – Creating diverse and inclusive housing opportunities that support current New Westminster residents and those who want to call the city home
- Public spaces and Infrastructure- Investing in the city’s unique public spaces to increase accessibility and to promote livability for everyone
- Community engagement and well being- Listening to, and working with, engaged and passionate residents to build a city we all want to live in