Sean Nelson has officially been named the Best Sommelier of British Columbia 2018.
The champion sommelier, who pours at Vij’s Restaurant in Vancouver, battled it out at Rogers Arena with 13 other master wine experts on Monday in a tight finale to claim the 2018 title at this annual competition.
Nelson also won “Best Taster” at the event, which was emceed by 2017 winner Shane Taylor and judged by Barbara Philip, Michaela Morris, and Sebastien Le Goff.
The competition included an intense written exam in the morning, a series of practical tests and blind tastings, and identifying wines – all of which was performed in front of an audience of 100 people.
Second place went to Matthew Landry of the Stable House Bistro and third place winner was Todd Prucyk of Hawksworth Restaurant.
To see what Nelson pours at Vij’s, check out their extensive wine list.
- Canada's top female bartenders to compete at Speed Rack cocktail competition this February
- Smoky BC wildfire wine is actually a thing, find UBC researchers
Here is the full list of competing sommeliers from the 2018 Best Sommelier in BC:
- Christina Hartigan, Botanist
- Calen Macdonald, Blue Water Cafe
- Michael Hiram, AnnaLena
- Matthew Landry, The Stable House Bistro
- Shane Lobsinger, Sonora Resort
- Adam Mayhew, Yew at Four Seasons Hotel
- Scott Mitchell, AnnaLena
- Sean Nelson, Vij’s
- Jayton Paul, Hawksworth Restaurant
- Todd Prucyk, Hawksworth Restaurant
- Tereza Roux, Wedgewood Hotel
- Peter Van de Reep, Campagnolo
- Jesse Walters, Burdock & Co.