The City of Vancouver is making extra shelter beds available, after the powerful storm forecast to hit on Saturday night sparked an extreme weather alert.
- Typhoon remnant-enhanced storm on track to hit Metro Vancouver tonight
- Huge power outage in Metro Vancouver as powerful storm approaches
- BC Ferries cancels sailings to Vancouver Island due to storm
Meanwhile, on Friday, the province said it would provide early funding to any Extreme Weather Response shelter in BC opening early.
The EWR season runs from November 1 to March 31, but almost 30 shelters across Metro Vancouver and BC were ready to open Wednesday, ahead of the oncoming storms.
According to the province, last winter, more than 1,700 additional shelter spaces in over 80 communities were made available during extreme weather events.
As well as these spaces, there are also more than 1,900 permanent, year-round shelter beds throughout BC; most are open 24/7 and provide three meals per day.
In Vancouver, the extra shelter spaces being made available during Saturday’s storm are as follows:
Union Gospel Mission – 601 East Hastings Street
- Open 9 pm to 6 am
- 20 mats
- Spaces for men will be made available if the regular 72 shelter beds become full
The Gathering Place – 609 Helmcken Street
- Open midnight to 7 am for alerts called on Friday, Saturday, or Sunday
- 40 mats
- Food and beverages are provided in the evening and in the morning
- Will accommodate couples as able
Catholic Charities – 828 Cambie Street
- Open from 4 pm to 8 am
- 20 mats for men only
- Food, showers, and laundry
Directions Youth Services Centre – 1138 Burrard Street (at Hornby St)
- Open from 10 pm to 7 am
- 15 mats for youth only (ages 24 and less)
- Mats provided after midnight
- Pets accepted to a maximum of 4 animals
The Salvation Army Harbour Light – 119 East Cordova Street
- Opens only if there is sufficient overflow from Harbour Light’s year-round site
- 40 mats
- Coffee and a snack in the morning
The Salvation Army Belkin House – 555 Homer Street
- Opens after other shelters full, after 11 pm
- 13 mats for men, 7 for women
- Breakfast at 7:30 am