High-friction road surfaces created at 10 locations across Lower Mainland
The provincial government says it has completed installation work on high-friction road surfaces at 14 locations across BC, including 10 locations in the Lower Mainland and four locations on southern Vancouver Island.
- Bump repairs and new interchanges planned for South Fraser Perimeter Road
- $235-million in funding announced to reduce congestion on Highway 1 through Langley
- $70-million counterflow lane on the Alex Fraser Bridge to open in 2019
All of the locations are intersections and off-ramps that were identified as high-collision areas.
The road surfaces were not repaved with new asphalt, rather a special application — an aggregate and resin treatment — was added to the surface to reduce skidding and help vehicles come to a complete stop more quickly and safely, especially in wet conditions and/or high-speed scenarios.
The lifespan of the special application is anticipated to last for more than seven years.
The applications are 150 metres to 250 metres in length, depending on the location and the distances based on where typical traffic queues form and vehicles begin braking.
This $3.9-million pilot project, a partnership between the BC Ministry of Transportation and Infrastructure, and ICBC — could be expanded to other locations if the application is proven to reduce collisions and improve safety.
Here is the full list of locations:
- Highway 1 – Capilano Road off-ramp (westbound) in North Vancouver
- Highway 1 – Lonsdale Avenue off-ramp (eastbound/westbound) in North Vancouver
- Highway 1 – Willingdon Avenue off-ramp (eastbound) in Burnaby
- Highway 1 – Brunette Avenue off-ramp (eastbound/westbound) in Coquitlam
- Highway 7 – 203 Street intersection (eastbound) in Maple Ridge
- Highway 7 – 207 Street intersection (eastbound) in Maple Ridge
- Highway 7 – Kennedy Road intersection (eastbound/westbound) in Pitt Meadows
- Highway 7 – Laity Street intersection (eastbound) in Maple Ridge
- Highway 10 – 120 Street/Scott Road intersection (eastbound/westbound) in Surrey
- Highway 10 – 176 Street intersection (eastbound/westbound) in Surrey
- Highway 17 – Cloverdale Avenue intersection (southbound) in Saanich
- Highway 17 – Elk Lake Drive intersection (northbound/southbound) in Saanich
- Highway 17 – Sayward Road intersection (northbound) in Saanich
- Highway 17 – Mt. Newton Cross Road intersection (northbound/southbound) in Saanich