BC breaks yet another record, reporting over 2,400 COVID-19 cases
British Columbia broke its one-day record for new COVID-19 infections for the fourth day in a row on Friday, with officials announcing 2,441 new cases.
The latest infections bring the total number of recorded cases in the province to 222,604.
In a written statement, Provincial Health Officer Dr. Bonnie Henry and Health Minister Adrian Dix said that there are 10,415 active cases of COVID-19 in the province. Of the active cases, 192 individuals are currently hospitalized and 71 are in intensive care. The remaining people are recovering at home in self-isolation.
- You might also like:
- "A different game": Henry details Omicron breakthrough, reinfection risk
- UVic and SFU temporarily moving classes online due to Omicron surge
- New COVID-19 testing site opens at UBC due to increased demand
New cases and total active cases are broken down by health region as follows:
- Fraser Health: 1,001 new cases, 3,554 total active cases
- Vancouver Coastal Health: 967 new cases, 4,571 total active cases
- Interior Health: 188 new cases, 778 total active cases
- Northern Health: 66 new cases, 236 total active cases
- Island Health: 219 new cases, 1,274 total active cases
- Outside of Canada: No new cases, two total active cases
There have been 1,613 cases of the Omicron variant of concern confirmed in BC, broken down as follows:
- Fraser Health: 263
- Vancouver Coastal Health: 959
- Interior Health: 40
- Northern Health: four
- Island Health: 347
There have also been four new deaths over the past 24 hours in Island Health, for a total of 2,414.
To date, 87.8% (4,377,551) of eligible people five and older in BC have received their first dose of the COVID-19 vaccine and 82.8% (4,126,279) have received their second dose.
From December 16 to 22, people not fully vaccinated accounted for 21.9% of cases, and from December 9 to 22, they accounted for 67.2% of hospitalizations.
Past week cases (December 16 to 22) – Total 8,165
- Not vaccinated: 1,684 (20.6%)
- Partially vaccinated: 105 (1.3%)
- Fully vaccinated: 6,376 (78.1%)
Past two weeks cases hospitalized (December 9 to 22) – Total 180
- Not vaccinated: 117 (65%)
- Partially vaccinated: 4 (2.2%)
- Fully vaccinated: 59 (32.8%)
Past week, cases per 100,000 population after adjusting for age (December 16 to 22)
- Not vaccinated: 252.8
- Partially vaccinated: 50.2
- Fully vaccinated: 139.8
Past two weeks, cases hospitalized per 100,000 population after adjusting for age (December X to X)
- Not vaccinated: 27.2
- Partially vaccinated: 3.1
- Fully vaccinated: 1.3