The 4A final is officially set: the Burnaby South Rebels will face the Semiahmoo Totems tomorrow night for all the marbles.
Burnaby South beat the surprise of the tournament, Belmont, 70-58 to punch their ticket to the final. The Rebels were up 15 at the half, but Belmont showed why they were the Cinderella story of the tournament by bringing it within two into the final frame. It looked like Belmont would pull off the upset yet again.
But the magic slippers seemed to go off Belmont after that, as Burnaby South went on an 8-0 run to start the quarter and didn’t stop, as they continued to put the pedal to the medal. Sasha Vujisic was named the player of the game, finishing with 15 points and 19 rebounds.
Semi-final Friday also had a great matchup in the 3A bracket, as the Byrne Creek Bulldogs took on the North Delta Huskies with a trip to the finals on the line. The first quarter was tense and low scoring until a Roopinder Gill three at the buzzer seemingly opened the floodgates for the Huskies. They proceeded to rain down threes on Byrne Creek, leading by five at the break.
The turning point came when Byrne Creek switched to a fast break offence, using their speed to get to the rim and draw fouls. Not only that, but North Delta’s deadly distance shooting seemingly vanished out of thin air. Byrne Creek won 76-64, booking their ticket to the big game tomorrow night.
Here’s what else happened on the third day of the 2018 BC High School Basketball Championships.
Boys 4A tournament
Burnaby South will play Semiahmoo in the final on Saturday at 8:15 pm.
Burnaby South 70 Belmont 58
- Belmont’s Cinderella run is over. They shot just 26% in the game, and only 17% in the first half.
- They actually led late in the 3rd quarter before Burnaby South went on a late run that put them ahead for good.
- Burnaby South outscored Belmont 46-26 in the paint
- Sasha Vujisic had 15 point and 19 rebounds in the win for the Rebels
Semiahmoo 74 Tamanawis 67
- Welcome to the Miguel Tomley show. The Tamanwis player had 48 points, many of which came via the three ball
- Semiahmoo was up 11-0, but Tamanawis went on a 12-3 to cut it down after the first quarter
- The turning point came late in the fourth — Jeevan Sidhu had a chance to tie it from the line. He missed both, and Semiahmoo went down and scored
- Semiahmoo shot 47.5% for the game
Boys 3A tournament
South Kamloops and Byrne Creek will play in the 3A final at 6 pm.
South Kamloops 65 Pitt Meadows 59
- South Kamloops is going to their second straight final — they lost last year to Rick Hansen
- Pitt Meadows trailed by ten at the half but came back to lead late into the fourth quarter
- The turning point was a five-point swing late for Kamloops
- Giovanni Manu of Pitt Meadows had 24 points and nine rebounds in the losing effort
Byrne Creek 76 North Delta 64
- Martin Djunga of Byrne Creek had 33 points and 11 boards in the win
- Making it rain — Arun Atker of Delta had 25 points and shot 50% from three
- Byrne Creek shot over 50% from the field in the second half