City Council approves additional $22 million for road safety actions

Jun 28 2018, 2:00 pm

Following the recent spike of vulnerable road users killed in Toronto, which includes cyclists and pedestrians, Toronto City Council has approved an additional $22 million for road safety actions.

This is in addition to the $13 million approved earlier this month.

The new funds will help support the city’s Vision Zero Strategy, which targets the elimination of fatalities and reducing serious injuries with an emphasis on pedestrians, school children, older adults, cyclists, aggressive and distracted driving, and motorcyclists.

At a city council meeting Wednesday evening, Mayor John Tory told committee members he takes Vision Zero “incredibly seriously” and the additional $22 million will go directly to further “accelerating and intensifying the rollout of road safety measures in Toronto.”

Tory also noted that Vision Zero isn’t a quick fix and that it’s about long-term change and it won’t happen overnight.

“I am steadfast in my willingness, in my desire, in my determination to find the money and to make the investments sensibly and prudently based on the advice of our professional staff to make this all get fixed as fast as possible,” Tory told the council.

“Effective immediately, the funding for the implementation of these measures will be provided from surplus that is allocated to the Capital Financing Reserve,” reads the item adopted by council.

In 2018, the city has already invested $21.3 million on Vision Zero initiatives.

See also