Toronto reported 2,000 coronavirus cases in the first 8 days of October

Oct 9 2020, 1:09 pm

Toronto’s Medical Officer of Health confirmed that almost 2,000 new COVID-19 cases were reported in the first eight days of October, accounting for 10% of the total cases to date.

On Friday, Dr. Eileen de Villa said that the news of Ontario’s added restrictions in Toronto’s bars, restaurants, gyms and venues, will be able to prevent the escalating numbers of cases.

“Almost 2,000 cases reported during the first eight days in October. They accounted for 10% of all of our cases since the beginning of the pandemic. In eight days,” she emphasized.

“We now have reason to believe that with the restrictions, we can blunt the toll the resurgence will take.”

De Villa added that “some people will feel this much more than others” and that physical and mental wellness is provided by the “ability to earn and support yourself and those you love.”

But she said that the new restrictions will make is harder for the virus to spread and allow for the rate of numbers to decline.

According to the COVID-19 Monitoring Dashboard, and seven-day rolling average of cases is now 216 and hospitalizations are are 5.7.

And the test results being returned to people within 24 hours is only 11%—the goal is for it to be 60%.

When looking at tests results being returned in 48 hours, 32% are returned, but the goal is for it to be 80% response rate.

Toronto Public Health

De Villa said that on Friday, 350 new cases were reported in the city bringing the total to 21,919.

There are 95 patients currently in hospital, with 26 are in ICU, and 12 are incubated.

Earlier on Friday, Ontario announced that indoor dining, indoor gyms and fitness centres, casinos, performing arts centres and venues, and interactive exhibits were to be shutdown for at least 28 days.

There will also be a reduction in social gatherings and organized public events to a maximum of 10 people indoors and 25 people outdoors where physical distancing can’t be maintained.

The province is also prohibiting personal care services where face coverings must be removed for the service.

Clarrie FeinsteinClarrie Feinstein

+ News
+ Coronavirus
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT