Suspect in alleged shootout with police in Richmond Hill now in custody

Dec 28 2019, 2:33 pm

The suspect involved in an alleged shootout with York Regional Police on Friday is now in custody.

This comes after the suspect barricaded himself inside a Richmond Hill residence after he allegedly opened fire at authorities during a traffic stop twelve hours earlier, according to police.

On Friday, December 27 around 10:30 am, an officer conducted a traffic stop at a gas station on a vehicle in the area of Bayview Avenue and Major Mackenzie Drive.

During the interaction, shots were fired between the officer and the suspect, who then fled the scene in a vehicle.

Police advised the public the suspect was considered armed and dangerous.

According to police, the suspect went inside a residence nearby and remained inside. Authorities said there is a significant police presence in the initial location of the traffic stop, as well as in the area surrounding the residence the suspect is in.

Police said homes nearby were evacuated as a precautionary measure.

Police said there were no injuries to any members of the public or to the officer involved in the initial standoff. It is unknown if the suspect has been injured.

Additionally, police said Emergency Response Unit officers contained the scene and negotiators attempted to get the suspect safely into custody.

In the afternoon, the Special Investigations Unit announced it had invoked its mandate “after man possibly struck during exchange of gunfire with police in Richmond Hill.”

“There is no confirmation of any injuries at this stage,” police tweeted.

The SIU is an arm’s length agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury, or allegations of sexual assault.

At this time, police advised residents in the area of Elmwood and Maple to stay inside their residence and to take shelter in their basements or in a safe zone.

However, around 10 pm, police tweeted that the suspect was in police custody and the situation had ended.

Following the incident, authorities said a large police presence would remain in the area of Elmwood Avenue and Maple Avenue while they continued their investigation.

Ainsley SmithAinsley Smith

+ News
+ Crime