Ontario's top doctor says enforcing a curfew poses a "challenge"

Jan 7 2021, 1:27 pm

Ontario’s top doctor said enforcing a curfew as part of the COVID-19 restrictions poses to be a “challenge.”

On Thursday during a press conference, Ontario’s Chief Medical Officer of Health, Dr. David Williams, was asked about imposing a curfew in the province and said, “part of the challenge of the curfew is how are you going to enforce a curfew? How are you going to make sure people are adhering to a curfew, in that it depends on what the constraints are as well as the legal aspects and enforcement tasks and documentation…”

But Williams did say a curfew is being considered, with Premier Doug Ford talking to Quebec’s Premier Francois Legault on how their curfew was implemented.

On Wednesday night, Quebec became the first region in Canada to implement a curfew. It is from 8 pm to 5 am to help stop the spread of the virus.

The curfew goes into effect from January 8 and will be in place until February 8.

Legault said Quebecers who are caught outside of curfew “without reason” could face fines of $1,000 to $6,000. “We have to send a very clear message,” he said. “If you don’t obey, there will be consequences.”

Nighttime curfews, relatively rare in the history of public health, have been put into effect in recent months to curb the surge of COVID-19 in the Netherlands, Czech Republic, Portugal, Spain, Italy, Greece, France, India, California, Ohio, and previously in Australia.

On Thursday, Ontario reported it’s highest single-day case to date with over 3,500.

To date, there are a total of 204,405 cases in Ontario, with 172,571 recovered and 4,856 reported deaths.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT