Following the Ontario NDP’s initial reports of health care privatization, Andrea Horwath shared more documents showing the Ford government has allegedly sealed the deal.
According to Horwath, the new documents obtained by the NDP shows the Ford scheme privatizes services including health care inspections, laboratories, and licensing.
The documents were allegedly given to high-ranking officials on December 13.
A January 22 document, also obtained by the NDP, shows a new structure for health care in the province, with planning and oversight functions transferred to a new “Super Agency.”
Horwath said that the Super Agency’s guiding principles is to “partner with public and private sector entities.”
- NDP says Ford government plans to privatize health care in Ontario
- Protest planned in Toronto following Ford government's OSAP changes
- Poll shows majority of Ontarians disapprove of Doug Ford right now
“It’s a done deal, legislation is written, board members have been appointed, and Doug Ford already has cabinet approval,” said Horwath, leader of the opposition. “But the entire Ford government has been hiding this plan from the public. Why? Because people won’t like it.”
BREAKING: Documents from as early as mid-December show cabinet-approved plans to shift health care services, and the public dollars that fund them, into private hands.
— Ontario NDP (@OntarioNDP) February 4, 2019
In response to Horwath and the NDP last week, Doug Ford tweeted that, “the people of Ontario are tired of Andrea Horwath and the NDP’s fear-mongering. Our government is strongly committed to improving public healthcare.”
Minister of Health Christine Elliott will be holding a press conference later today in response to Horwath’s announcement.