Health Minister Christine Elliott announced Ontario will wait four more weeks before considering loosening of health measures and restrictions due to a recent increase of COVID-19 cases.
On Tuesday, Elliot said that the latest trends in coronavirus numbers are concerning and that there will be a pause of four weeks before considering any further loosening of restrictions.
“The latest trend in numbers has raised some concern,” she said. “Therefore, we will have a pause of four weeks before considering any loosening of public health measures. We did not make this decision lightly.”
Elliot added that taking a pause in further reopening will help the province with broad closures and shutdowns. “We need to do everything we can to limit the spread of COVID-19.”
“Once again we’re asking Ontarians to please follow public health advice.”
The Health Minister noted that with select schools starting this week, the health and safety of children and the teaching community is a priority.
Premier Doug Ford said that 37 million pieces of PPE have been provided to the school board across the province.
This includes 19.5 million masks, 16 million gloves, 317,000 face shields and 320,000 hand sanitizer bottles.
- See also:
Earlier on Tuesday, the province confirmed 185 COVID-19 cases for Tuesday morning and 190 for Monday, which are some of the highest reported numbers since July — when 195 new cases were reported.
There has been a total of 43,536 coronavirus cases to date, with 39,196 resolved and 2,813 reported deaths.