Ontario confirms decrease in new coronavirus cases

May 25 2020, 7:51 am

The Province of Ontario confirms there are 29 more COVID-19 related deaths and 404 new cases, as of Monday morning.

This marks a decrease in new cases compared to Sunday’s 460, which was the highest number in four days.

Monday’s case numbers mark the fifth day in a row of over 400 new COVID-19 patients.

While there is a slight decrease in cases, it might not yet reflect the “thousands” of residents who flocked to Trinity Bellwoods Park on Saturday.

“Images today of thousands of people gathered in Trinity Bellwoods Park were unacceptable,” the City said in a statement at the time.

“Gatherings like this, where people aren’t keeping their distance from others, run the risk of setting Toronto back significantly in its efforts to stop the transmission of COVID-19.”

The Greater Toronto Area public health units account for more than half of the cases at 63.6%.

Last week, the province also entered Stage 1 of its framework to reopen the economy, allowing certain businesses and recreational activities to reopen.

However, even though reopening the economy has begun, Premier Doug Ford’s government extended its emergency orders until May 29 to help stop the spread of coronavirus.

There were 8,170 tests completed from the previous day, which is lower than the 11,383 tests completed from Sunday’s report.

To date, a total of 619, 539 have been tested across Ontario.

The province’s total is now 25,904 but 76% of the cases have been resolved, with 19,698 patients recovered.

A total of 2,102 people have died from coronavirus in Ontario, and there are 3,883 cases currently under investigation.

According to the Public Health Ontario Daily Epidemiologic Summary (iPHIS), there are 203 outbreaks in long-term care homes, with 1,323 resident deaths. Around 18.8% of cases in all of Ontario come from these facilities.

However, the Ministry of Long-Term Care Daily Report says there have been 159 outbreaks reported in long-term care homes with 1,531 resident deaths.

Government of Ontario

According to Dr. Barbara Yaffe, Ontario relies on local public health units to report on the coronavirus, both in the community and in long-term care homes, through iPHIS, in which there is a delay in the data being received.

At the same time, the Ministry of Long-Term Care has started collecting information about coronavirus in long-term care homes through its network of inspectors.

Of the total cases, 43% are male and 56.1% are female, with 40.8% of cases age 60 years and older.

To date, there are 859 hospitalized, with 148 in ICU, and 114 patients on ventilators.

Government of Ontario

The daily summary is based on data reported by the 34 public health units across Ontario and recorded in the province’s integrated Public Health Information System, according to the Ontario government.

iPHIS is the Ministry of Health’s disease reporting system where data is regularly updated, and where each daily summary is pulled at 4 pm the previous day.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT