More than 60% of new COVID-19 cases are under the age of 40 in Ontario.
According to the latest data from the Government of Ontario, 63% of cases are age 40 and under.
On Wednesday, Dr. Theresa Tam, Canada’s chief public health officer, said that throughout the summer infection rates were higher amongst people ages 20-39.
“While COVID-19 tends to be less severe among young people, ongoing circulation of the virus in younger, more mobile and socially connected adults builds a reservoir for the virus,” Tam said.
“This not only increases the risk for spread to individuals and populations at higher risk for severe outcomes, but it threatens our ability to keep COVID-19 at manageable levels. As well, it is important to know that young adults are not immune to the direct impacts of COVID-19, as serious or prolonged illness can occur at any age.”
- See also:
Tam told the younger demographic that their cooperation is needed to help stop the spread of the virus.
She added that “we can’t get back on the slow burn track without your help. This is your generation. This is your time. Let’s work together to get this done.”
Tam emphasized the importance sticking to public health measures including physical distancing, hand hygiene, non-medical masks as recommended, limiting in-person contacts as much as possible to a small, consistent and trusted contacts bubble and “following the Golden Rule” of staying home and isolating from others if experiencing any symptoms.
Earlier on Thursday, Dr. Barbara Yaffe, Ontario’s deputy chief medical officer of health, echoed Tam’s sentiments telling younger people that they may not be as high-risk as older groups but they can transmit the virus, causing greater harm for vulnerable populations.
On September 24, the Government of Ontario reported 409 new coronavirus infections.
Ontario’s new coronavirus cases have increased significantly over the past week with Friday’s 401, Saturday’s 407, Sunday’s 365, Monday’s 425, Tuesday’s 478, which was the highest number since early May, and Wednesday’s 335.
Because of this, Ford has announced that private social gatherings across the province are limited to 10 people indoors and 25 people outdoors — it was originally 50 indoors and 100 outdoors.