After a full closure of the Gardiner Expressway over the Thanksgiving weekend, the City of Toronto said the highway will be reduced to two lanes until next year.
According to the city, the Gardiner will be reduced to two lanes each direction from the Don Valley Parkway to York Street as crews renew the concrete deck between Jarvis and Cherry St.
The work began at 5 am on Monday, October 14 and is expected to continue until mid-2020.
During this construction, the city adds that only one ramp will be closed at a time.
The construction will fully replace the north half of the concrete deck and steel girders of the Gardiner Expressway between Jarvis and Cherry Streets.
#TrafficAlertTO Plan ahead – Gardiner reduced to 2 lanes each direction from DVP to York St as crews renew the concrete deck btw Jarvis & Cherry St.
Watch this video to learn more about the City’s work to renew this stretch of the Gardiner.https://t.co/QTzyExIuGL pic.twitter.com/SlOMEkheMT
— Gardiner Lake Shore (@TO_Gardiner_LS) October 15, 2019
The city said that to maintain safety, the speed limit on the expressway will be reduced to 70 km/h through the work zone but drivers are encouraged to drive 60 km/h.
- See also:
Additionally, there will be closures on the westbound lanes of Lake Shore Boulevard East during off-peak hours (between 10 am to 3 pm and 10 pm to 5 am) and there may be instances in the off-peak hours where traffic will be paused for 15 minutes so crews can safely remove and replace sections of the expressway.
“The majority of the most disruptive work should be completed by 11 pm, however, in some instances disruptive work must be performed overnight for the safety of crews and the travelling public,” states the city’s website.
“Traffic-signal timing changes will be made to enhance traffic flow on nearby routes, to help mitigate traffic congestion.”
During construction, drivers should plan ahead and consider alternate routes such as the southbound Don Valley Parkway to the Richmond Street exit.
Gardiner Expressway’s westbound Sherbourne/Jarvis off-ramp is closed until next spring, which the city announced earlier this fall.