Ford to make announcement on Ontario's economic reopening plans

Feb 8 2021, 5:58 am

Premier Doug Ford is set to provide on update on Ontario’s economic reopening plans on Monday afternoon.

Ford will be joined by Christine Elliott, Deputy Premier and Minister of Health, Solicitor General Sylvia Jones, and Dr. David Williams, Chief Medical Officer of Health, to make the announcement.

Last week, the premier said on Monday he’ll have an announcement on the economic reopening plans as COVID-19 cases continue in a downwards trend.

“Our goal is to open the economy up safely. We have a couple of hot zones that might open up a week later. But especially in the northern and rural areas, we want to get the economy opening up, but safely. That’s the number one priority,” he said last week.

Ontario’s Minister of Labour, Training, and Skills Development also confirmed Ford would make an announcement soon.

“We’re seeing the numbers going down,” Monte McNaughton said. “We’re moving toward reopening the economy, and the premier is going to further communicate that next week.”

Ontario has been under a second state of emergency since January 12, and a Stay at Home order since January 14. Both measures are set to expire this week.

The press conference will take place at 1 pm from Queen’s Park.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT