Valérie Plante is cancelling Montreal's Formula E race

Dec 18 2017, 6:11 pm

Montreal Mayor Valérie Plante is calling off the city’s Formula E race.

Plante made the announcement today. She took to Twitter to explain her reasoning behind the decision.

“This is where we draw the line. Formula E will not be back in Montreal under these conditions,” said Plante on Twitter.

Unpaid bills and the deficit caused by last year’s race are reportedly the reasons that Plante has decided to cancel the event.

During her election campaign, Plante said she would move the race to another location or cancel it completely.

Last month, it was announced that 45,000 people attended the race. But only 25,000 tickets were actually sold to the public, while the remaining 20,000 tickets were giveaways.

The Formula E race has become a controversial topic leading up to the municipal election. former mayor Denis Coderre stood by the event but has also remained quiet about ticket sales for months.

In total, the Formula E event cost an estimated $24 million and was heavily criticized for shutting down businesses and streets in order for organizers to set up and take down the race tracks.

See also