Environment Canada has issued a special weather statement for Montreal.
A period of “widespread freezing rain” is expected to surface by Friday followed by heavy rainfall.
A low pressure system from the Gulf of Mexico is expected to track northward and affect most of Quebec starting on Thursday night.
“Untreated surfaces like roads, walkways and parking lots could become icy, slippery and dangerous,” according to the weather website.
The warning was posted on Wednesday morning at 4:16 AM and is effect for the following areas:
- Châteauguay – La Prairie area
- Longueuil – Varennes area
- Montreal Island area
Environment Canada urges citizens to monitor weather alerts and updates and to be safe when travelling outside.
- Montreal is going to use drones to battle snow removal this year
- Quebec's mandatory winter tire deadline will be earlier next year
- Montreal temperatures expected to rise 14°C by end of the week
- What's open and closed on Christmas Day in Montreal