The Insurance Bureau of Canada (IBC), has released its annual Top 10 Most Frequently Stolen Vehicles list and revealed that the most commonly stolen vehicles in Quebec are pickup trucks.
“While SUVs topped the list of the 10 most stolen vehicles in recent years, car thieves appear to be expanding their market,” said IBC in a release.
The report indicates four of the 10 stolen vehicles are pickups and three are SUVs.
According to the report, this year’s 10 most frequently stolen vehicles in IBC’s Quebec region are:
- 2016 Toyota 4Runner 4-door (SUV)
- 2015 Toyota Tundra 4WD (Pickup)
- 2015 Toyota 4Runner 4-door (SUV)
- 2009 BMW 328i Cabriolet (Sedan)
- 2015 Infiniti QX70 4-door (Crossover)
- 2003 Ford F-250 SD 4WD (Pickup)
- 2006 Ford F-250 SD 4WD (Pickup)
- 2002 Subaru Impreza 4-door (Sedan)
- 2016 Toyota Tundra 4WD (Pick-up)
- 2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (SUV)
Whether whole or in parts, pickups, SUVs and other luxury cars often end up in containers in the port of Montreal or Halifax, headed to the Middle East, Western Africa or Eastern Europe!”, explained Anne Morin, supervisor of public affairs at IBC.
To help eliminate auto theft, IBC says motorists can keep their vehicles safe by taking the following steps:
- Never leave your vehicle running when unattended.
- Park in well-lit areas.
- When parking your car, always close the windows and lock the doors.
- Put valuables and packages in the trunk, where they are out of sight.
- Keep your car in the garage at night.
- Don’t leave personal information in the glove box. Take your insurance and ownership documents with you when you park your vehicle.