Mural Fest announces programming for this summer’s street art extravaganza in Montreal
If Montrealers need any more indication that summer is right around the corner, Mural Fest has announced its programming for this year’s street art festival.
Mural Fest brings together world-class visual artists and musicians who collaborate for a cultural celebration in the heart of Montreal’s Boulevard Saint-Laurent.
The facade of buildings, roads, parking lots, and public spaces are taken over by immensely talented international and local artists, turning The Plateau into a massive urban art playground.
For its seventh edition, the flagship summertime festival has announced a slew of interesting changes as it gets set to spray its way towards Montreal with a 10-day run from June 6 to 16.
- Mural Fest announces dates for its summer street art festival in Montreal
- This artist has decorated Montreal's streets with Star Wars art (PHOTOS)
- Montreal Jazz Fest add more artists to this summer's festival
- You can get tickets to over 100 concerts across Canada for just $20 each this summer
For this summer’s edition, the festival is breaking away from its traditional creative medium, the painted wall, by supporting a larger number of creations in diverse media, such as digital platforms and original materials.
The 2019 edition is making way for the following several new major sponsorship projects:
- An entire wall (on the corner of Saint-Laurent and Mont-Royal) covered in LED light strips by Spanish artist, Spider Tag, a first in North America.
- The complete decoration of a car wash and a car, by American artist Joshua Vides
(Mercedes-Benz Canada in collaboration with the SDC Laurier-Ouest).
- A series of large-scale sculptures by Montréal artist Laurence Vallières, presented by
- Digital creation workshops and interactive architectural projections with the Tagtool
application, presented by TD Bank in collaboration with MAPP_Montreal.
- A trompe l’oeil art piece painted on the pavement by Dutch artist Leon Keer, presented by Johnnie Walker.
As for the muralists, the festival has announced more globally renowned artists including: Miss Van (FRA), Insane51 (GRE), Pichiavo (SPA), Gleo (COL), Hyuro (ARG), Ben Johnston (CAN), Germdee (CAN), Marc-Olivier Lamothe (CAN), and Waxhead (CAN).
The festival’s main hangout, along with its famous terrasse, will also be reconfigured to create a more intimate and comfortable ambiance. Mural Fest’s food options will be expanded and the adjacent Grill Saint-Laurent food festival will now be open for four days, from June 11 to 14.
Here’s how the official Mural Fest 2019 program is going to look for this summer’s giant 10-day bash:
- Thursday, June 6 (6 pm to 11 pm): Opening show at the main zone (free)
- Friday, June 7 (6 pm to 11 pm): “Milk & Bone” and “Choses Sauvages” concert at the main zone (free)
- Saturday, June 8 (7 pm to 11 pm): “Moonshine” concert at the main zone and preliminary Cloud Cypher dance competition (free)
- Sunday, June 9 (2 pm to 11 pm): Finals of the Cloud Cypher dance competition (free)
- Wednesday, June 12 (6 pm to 11 pm): Alaclair Ensemble’s Lower Canadian evening with DJs “Voyage Funktastique” and “Toastdawg” (free)
- Thursday, June 13 (6 pm to 11 pm): Music show presented by Little Burgundy at the main zone (free)
- Friday, June 14 (6 pm to 11 pm): LGBTQ+ night (free)
- Saturday, June 15 (6 pm to 11 pm): Music show presented by Hennessy (free)
- Sunday, June 16 (6 pm to 11 pm): Closing ceremony show at the main zone (free)
More programming details and tickets for paid events can be found on the Mural Fest website.