Every day in Canada, a lot of news regarding COVID-19 comes out nationally and locally.
And for now, we will be putting together Montreal and Canada’s top headlines daily to help digest the news in one place.
Throughout the day, you can see all the headlines in real-time here.
Top coronavirus stories for April 6, as of 5 pm ET:
The Quebec government announced that the province’s death toll associated with the coronavirus has increased to 121 with 27 new deaths being announced since Sunday.
“I wish to offer my condolences to families and loved ones of the 27 victims,” said Quebec Premier François Legault, as part of his daily briefing. “You don’t get used to the numbers, behind those numbers are people and families.”
Legault also revealed that known cases in the province had increased to 8,580 and mentioned that 2,942 cases are “under investigation,” while 91,533 tests have turned up negative.
Since the government implemented physical distancing measures, the Sûreté du Québec (SQ) has issued over 155 fines.
On Saturday, April 4, the process of issuing tickets for citizens breaking distancing rules by provincial police forces was made easier.
Police had to report to the Crown prosecutor’s office before laying charges but now, Montreal Police and Sûreté du Québec officers can give tickets ranging from $1,000 to $6,000 on the spot for illegal indoor and outdoor gatherings.
Prime Minister Justin Trudeau said 240,000 people have already applied to the Canada Emergency Response Benefit, and another plan is coming for those who don’t qualify for the program.
As per Trudeau’s announcement over the weekend, those born in January, February, and March can apply online as of Monday morning.
Throughout the week, applications will open to others born April through December.
Applications for the Canada Emergency Response Benefit (CERB) are now open online.
According to the federal government, Canadians who have lost income due to COVID-19 can expect their payment in three to five business days from when they apply if they are using direct deposit.
This means most Canadians who are eligible will receive $2,000 before the end of next week.
Canadians looking to get more information about the CERB or, who are unable to apply online, can call the toll-free telephone line at 1-833-966-2099.
Canada’s Chief Public Health Officer, Dr. Theresa Tam, says Canadians can wear non-medical masks while out in public “as an additional measure” to protect others against the spread of coronavirus.
In a press conference Monday morning, Tam said that as collective scientific knowledge of COVID-19 continues to grow, “it is clear that transmission of the virus is happening more often than previously recognized from infected people right before they develop symptoms.” This is referred to as “pre-symptomatic transmission,” explained Tam.
Rainbows have become a symbol of hope and solidarity throughout Quebec — and the world — and several buildings and structures across Montreal have joined in on the movement by lighting up their facades with a variety of colours.
Using the hashtag #cavabienaller on social media, landmarks throughout the city are showcasing creative ways to display rainbows with the slogan “ça va bien aller” (it’s going to be okay).
The slogan first started becoming popular on sidewalks and windows before the Samuel de Champlain Bridge and the Big O joined the lighting display. Most recently, the likes of the Maison Manuvie, the Université de Montréal, and the Montreal Marriott Chateau Champlain joined in on the nightly illumination.
With a growing negative impact on the economy throughout the nation, Canadian banks are hoping to ease the pain by lowering interest rates, and offering to defer payments.
It has been roughly a month since sweeping closures hit major cities across the country, and with it came the loss of work for hundreds of thousands of Canadians. More than 240,000 applied for the federal government’s emergency supplemental income program in the wake of this global health crisis.
Banks like BMO, TD, CIBC, Scotiabank, and more have all adjusted their regulations to better support Canadians, according to information gathered by Ratehub.
An online petition has been launched by future parents who are concerned that partners are no longer allowed in the delivery room during labour at Jewish General Hospital.
Organizers at Jewish General have limited the number of visitors at the hospital to help limit the spread of the virus, including parents-to-be.
According to the petition, partners are allowed to accompany pregnant women to the triage area and are then “asked to leave the hospital.”