Francois Legault is urging Justin Trudeau and the federal government to ban all non-essential international flights, including people travelling on vacation and to all-inclusive resorts.
Legault said he’s already made the request privately to the feds and is now waiting for Trudeau to make a decision.
The premier says he’s “very worried” about people returning from international travel, especially as March Break looms in the not-too-distant future. Legault says COVID-19 cases and hospitalizations across the province are too high for people to be leaving and returning to the country.
- See also:
“I am asking Mr. Trudeau and the federal government to block all non-essential flights,” he said in French at a Tuesday afternoon press conference in Montreal. “I don’t want to experience what we experienced after spring break last March. I don’t understand how a person can decide to go to an all-inclusive resort in Punta Cana or Cancun, given the situation we’re all experiencing here in Quebec.”
On voit des signes encourageants depuis quelques jours, mais la pression reste grande sur notre réseau de la santé. Rien n’est encore gagné. On doit continuer tous nos efforts pour combattre le virus.
Suivez notre point de presse en direct: https://t.co/DTCT2ARetR
— François Legault (@francoislegault) January 19, 2021
Legault said if the federal government doesn’t enact, Quebec will “see if we can put in place some measures ourselves in airports across Quebec.”
During his own press conference on Tuesday, Trudeau said the federal government could enforce new restrictions on travellers returning to Canada at any time, without warning, to help curb the spread of COVID-19 in the country.
Earlier on Tuesday, Quebec reported its lowest COVID-19 virus increase since December. Cases have reached 245,734 since the start of the pandemic, along with 9,142 total deaths.