Every day in Canada, a lot of news regarding COVID-19 comes out nationally and locally.
And for now, we will be putting together Montreal and Canada’s top headlines daily to help digest the news in one place.
Throughout the day, you can see all the headlines in real-time here.
Top coronavirus stories for May 13, as of 5 pm ET:
The Quebec government revealed that the province’s coronavirus-related death toll has reached 3,220, after announcing 89 more deaths since Monday afternoon.
As part of his daily briefings from Quebec City, Premier François Legault updated the provincial numbers, confirming 39,931 known cases and 1,876 hospitalizations, 194 of whom are in the ICU.
Legault said earlier this morning, members of the MNA observed a moment of silence for the victims and the flag in Quebec City was lowered at half mass as a tribute to all the citizens who have died as a result of the virus.
Currently, a reported 261,569 cases have turned up negative throughout Quebec.
The Quebec government announced it will allow for a gradual return of non-contact sports, leisure, and outdoor activities throughout the province.
Isabelle Charest, Quebec’s Junior Minister of Education and Minister for the Status of Women, joined by Richard Massé, a medical advisor for public health, made the announcement from Quebec City on Wednesday afternoon.
Charest, a former speed skater for Team Canada, said “certain” outdoor sporting activities will resume throughout Quebec as of May 20.
Prime Minister Justin Trudeau said the Canada Emergency Student Benefit application process opens this Friday, May 15.
Students looking to apply can sign up for “My Account” on the Canada Revenue Agency now to accelerate the process, and sign up for direct deposit.
In April, Trudeau announced a $9 billion plan to help Canadian students.
Dawson College has announced it will continue to offer most courses online for the summer and fall semester in order to protect its students and staff throughout the greater Montreal community.
The CEGEP says “Montreal remains a hot zone for COVID-19” and will undergo some “strict protocols” for courses that cannot be delivered online.
The school says the Ministry of Education has directed “all CEGEPs and universities in Montreal to continue offering courses online.”
Two of Quebec’s leading grocery retailers, IGA and Metro, have released lists detailing when and where employees and customers have tested positive for COVID-19.
Both store chains said that out of respect and for confidentiality reasons, it will never release any personal information about infected employees or clients.
“We will always contact and follow the guidance of Public Health to ensure the safety of our teammates and customers whenever we are made aware of a confirmed case of COVID-19 in one of our food stores or distribution centres,” reads the Metro website. “We will continue to update the COVID-19 tracker below daily to be transparent with you where we have been notified of cases of COVID-19 in our food stores and distribution centres.”
Well, it didn’t take long for construction to get back to normal.
Quebec’s normal, that is.
The Jacques Cartier and Champlain Bridges Incorporated (JCCBI) has announced that “major levelling and paving work” will be done on the Jacques Cartier Bridge during two “weekend blitzes” in May.