Every day in Canada, a lot of news regarding COVID-19 comes out nationally and locally.
And for now, we will be putting together Montreal and Canada’s top headlines daily to help you digest the news in one place.
Throughout the day, you can see all the headlines in real-time here.
Top coronavirus stories for July 6, as of 5 pm ET:
The Quebec government revealed that the province’s COVID-19 death toll has reached 5,577, after announcing three more deaths and 74 known cases since Sunday.
According to Santé Quebec, there are now 55,937 cases in the province, 377 hospitalizations, and 25 patients in the ICU.
Currently, a reported 572,565 tests have turned up negative throughout Quebec and over 25,000 cases have been resolved.
Face masks are going to be mandatory for all people in Montreal visiting enclosed public places.
Montreal Mayor Valérie Plante made the announcement on Monday afternoon, citing July 27 as the date the mandated masks will take effect.
“We have witnessed the emergence of some outbreaks in the suburbs of Montreal, which could undermine the efforts we have been making since the beginning of the pandemic,” said Plante in a Facebook post.
Passengers on a flight from Paris to Montreal in June could have been exposed to COVID-19, according to the Canadian government.
On the Government of Canada website, officials have updated a list that features international flights with confirmed COVID-19 cases.
On June 23, an Air France flight from Paris to Montreal had an outbreak. The website says flight AF342 had at least one confirmed case but didn’t detail the specific row or seat.
Tony Award-nominated Canadian actor Nick Cordero has died after months-long battle with complications from COVID-19.
Cordero’s wife, Amanda Kloots, made the announced on Sunday night.
“God has another angel in heaven now. My darling husband passed away this morning,” says Kloots Sunday night post. “He was surrounded in love by his family, singing and praying as he gently left this earth.”
Last week, the Canadian government announced that it was suspending the Canada-Hong Kong extradition treaty in response to concerns over the passage of national security legislation for Hong Kong by the Standing Committee of the National People’s Congress of China. Now, China has issued a travel warning against Canada for its citizens.
The warning was issued on Monday, according to a report from the South China Morning Post.
Health Canada has recalled several health sanitizers, in addition to those previously pulled from shelves, as they may pose risks to health.
Canadians are advised to stop using the below sanitizers, which contain technical-grade ethanol, are not compliant with federal regulations, and may pose health risks:
An additional nine NHL players have tested positive for COVID-19, the league announced Monday.
That brings the league’s total number of positive cases up to 35 since June 8, when the league began Phase 2 of its return to play plan. Of those 35 cases, 23 were discovered during league-administered testing, while an additional 12 were recorded by players not yet using NHL facilities.
The federal government will be issuing a one-time, tax-free payment to seniors this week.
The Honourable Deb Schulte, Minister of Seniors, made the announcement on Monday morning. The payment will be available to seniors that are eligible for the Old Age Security (OAS) pension, the Guaranteed Income Supplement (GIS), or allowances.
There’s no need to apply, and seniors living in Canada can expect to receive the payment through direct deposit or by cheque this week. Those that live outside of Canada will receive it later this month.
Food service businesses across the country continue to operate at a loss due to the pandemic, and many could take up to 18 months to return to profitability.
This is according to a new survey conducted by Restaurants Canada — a not-for-profit that represents the nation’s food industry — wherein food joints shared how many months they expect it will take for their business to recover.