Every day in Canada, a lot of news regarding COVID-19 comes out nationally and locally.
And for now, we will be putting together Montreal and Canada’s top headlines daily to help digest the news in one place.
Throughout the day, you can see all the headlines in real-time here.
Top coronavirus stories for May 12, as of 5 pm ET:
The Quebec government revealed that the province’s COVID-19-related death toll has reached 3,131, after announcing 118 more deaths since Monday afternoon.
As part of his daily briefings from Quebec City, Premier François Legault updated the provincial numbers, confirming 39,225 known cases and 1,841 hospitalizations, 186 of whom are in the ICU.
Currently, a reported 256,518 cases have turned up negative throughout Quebec.
Quebec’s Minister of Health and Social Services Danielle McCann, Director of Public Health Dr. Horacio Arruda, and François Legault began Tuesday’s daily briefing all wearing face masks.
Legault began by making a “strong suggestion” for all Quebecers to wear face coverings whenever leaving the house.
“Listen, I wanted to wear the mask, not because we need it but because we will make a strong suggestion to Quebecers to do so when they leave the house.”
Prime Minister Justin Trudeau announced $2.5 billion to support Canadian seniors during the COVID-19 pandemic.
According to the prime minister, no Canadian should have to choose between putting food on the table, filling their prescriptions, or paying their bills, adding that too many seniors are already facing significant health, economic, and social challenges due to COVID-19.
The financial support announced includes a one-time tax-free payment of $300 for seniors eligible for the Old Age Security (OAS) pension, with an additional $200 for seniors eligible for the Guaranteed Income Supplement (GIS).
Two universities in Montreal are going forward with online courses for the 2020 fall semester amid COVID-19 health and safety concerns .
McGill says academic leadership and its teaching staff have been “fully dedicated” to coming up with “robust and high-quality programs and courses” that will offer students the needed flexibility for the fall semester.
Bryan Adams lashed out on social media on Monday night, blaming “greedy bat eaters” for his now-cancelled three-night stint of shows in Londom.
The 60-year-old Canadian singer was supposed to start a “tenancy” of gigs at London’s Royal Albert Hall on Monday but the shows were cancelled as a result of the pandemic.
Adams didn’t hold back in his post’s foul-mouthed caption, which quickly picked up steam throughout the rest of the social media world.
Companies around the world have been implementing a variety of safety measures, and preventative protocols to ensure that their customers feel safe and protected once the travel industry resumes operations after the COVID-19 pandemic.
Some airlines have blocked the sale of select seats to promote distancing while others require passengers to wear face masks to hinder transmission. Some airports have even gone so far as to implement full-body disinfectant machines.
Now, a French aeronautical engineer, Florian Barjot, is sharing his idea for a new plane seat that could protect passengers and allow them to social distance appropriately without airlines having to pay an arm and a leg to redesign the cabins of their aircraft.
Restaurant Brands International — parent company to Tim Hortons, Burger King, and Popeyes — has outlined their intentions in the journey towards reopening dining rooms.
Throughout the last eight weeks, RBI restaurant locations across North America have operated drive-thru, delivery, and mobile channels in order to continue serving customers.
The company says that now, as the nation shifts “from crisis mode to recovery mode” restaurants are moving into the phase of reopening dining rooms according to guidance from local authorities.