Winter is here, but you can’t stay at home all season long.
Here are a few things to get you smiling again.
- 'The Phantom of the Opera' headlines Broadway Across Canada's 2017/18 season
- 5 must experience inner city Calgary hikes
- Where: Various locations around town
- When: January 5 to February 2
Decidedly Jazz is known for their extraordinarily creative performances that allow their audiences to experience dance and music in a different, fluid and collaborative way. Join them for their second show in the new spectacular DJD Dance Centre, that will take on a unique perspective of the passionate and tragic tale of Shakesphere’s ‘Romeo and Juliet.”
- Where: DJD Dance Centre – 111 12th Avenue SE
- When: January 18 to 28
- Cost: $41 – $69
Lake Louise’s Ice Magic Festival is a truly magical and unreal experience that Canadian’s look forward to year round. This event boasts over 20 years of history and it gathers talented ice artists from around the world to compete and create artistic masterpieces out of ice, within 34 hours. During this time you can watch the process in action and see the detailed sculptures unfold, while you get the unique opportunity to talk to the carvers, asking them questions and vote for your favorite masterpiece. If you miss the action you can still view the sculptures the following weekend and even get the chance to try your hand at some ice carving yourself!
- Where: The Fairmont Chateau Lake Louise- 111 Lake Louise Drive, Lake Louise, AB
- When: January 19-29
- Cost: Adults $10 (18 – 54 years), Children $5 (3 – 17 years), Seniors $5 (55 + years), Family $25 (2 adults + up to 4 children aged 3-17 years) Tickets can be purchased here!
If you saw the Netflix Original, “The Crown” you’ll be familiar with the Queen’s famous weekly meeting with the Prime Minster, called an audience. This spectacular performance will replay some of the most famous audience’s throughout Queen Elizabeth’s reign, with many familiar political faces making an appearance, such as Churchill, Thatcher, Cameron and more. Take a peak at the woman behind the crown, the most famous and influential yet private woman in the world.
- Where: Max Bell Theatre – 1201 5 St SW
- When: January 24 to February 18
- Cost: $45-$64
See the critically acclaimed professional actor and musician, Chase Padgett perform his award winning solo show, ‘6 Guitars.’ He initially performed this show in 2010 and it quickly became the most successful show in the history of the North American Fringe Festival circuit. During this 85-minute show Padgett will become 6 different guitar players, ranging from a 19-year-old rock prodigy to an 87 year old blues man, all with their own unique voices, views and musical styles. You will leave feeling so in love with music!
- Where: Lunchbox Theatre – 160 115 9 Avenue SE
- When: January 9 to 28
- Cost: Adult – $25, Student + Senior – $20