It’s the last Friday of 2016! Hit the town tonight, or keep it low key and save your energy for New Years Eve. Whatever you’re in the mood for, there’s something for you to do today.
This Calgarian holiday tradition continues to live on year after year! Stay warm by dressing in layers and consuming delicious hot chocolate, as you roam through the 200 beautiful light displays, such as the all time favourite, ‘lovers lane’, and other unique light shows set up throughout the Calgary Zoo.
- Where: The Calgary Zoo – 210 St. George’s Drive NE
- When: Now until January 8 nightly from 6 to 9 pm
- Cost: $14.99 Adults, $11.99 Kids
Want to check out some beautiful light displays, without having to break the bank? Check out the Calgary Christmas Lights Map Marker and drive around the city to holiday music, as you discover the many creative light displays that Calgarians have put up at their homes.
- Where: Calgary and surrounding areas
- Cost: FREE
A Stampede talent show, a guitar playing teenager and handsome time traveler, could it get any more Calgarian than that? Well, minus the time traveller perhaps – but you get the point. Laugh along to jokes about life in #yyc in this modern day Calgary adaptation of this unique British fairy tale.
- Where: Martha Cohen Theatre – 215 8th Avenue SE
- When: November 22 to December 31
- Cost: $25-$72
Calgary’s only tube park is the largest of its kind in Western Canada and it opens for the season on Saturday, December 17. The park is located on the main hill, which allows tubers to take advantage of the washrooms, eateries, retail store and other amenities located in the Frank King Day Lodge. It features 10 lanes, each of which are 200 metres in length.
- Where: WinSport’s Canada Olympic Park – 88 Canada Olympic Road SW
- When: December 19 to December 30 open 9am to 5pm
Built in 1988 for the Olympic Winter Games, Olympic Plaza has the only refrigerated outdoor ice surface in the city. You can rent skates down at the plaza if you don’t have a pair of your own.
- Where: Olympic Plaza – 228 8th Avenue SE
- When: Now open – weather dependent from 6 am to 11 pm
- Cost: Free