17 things to do in Calgary this weekend: September 9 to 11
Sep 10 2016, 5:28 am
Lots of fun things happening around town including Night Markets, Music Festivals, Biking and Ice Cream!
Get out and do something, with our list of things to do this weekend.
Million Dollar Quartet
- What: The Tony® Award Winning musical, MILLION DOLLAR QUARTET is set on December 4, 1956. History was made when an extraordinary twist of fate brought Johnny Cash, Jerry Lee Lewis, Carl Perkins and Elvis Presley together at Sun Records in Memphis for what would be one of the greatest impromptu jam sessions ever. It brings to light the extraordinary story of broken promises, secrets, betrayal, and the once-in-a-lifetime celebration of four friends that is altogether poignant, heartwarming and funny.
- Where: Stage West – 727 42 Avenue SE
- When: September 9 to November 13
- Tickets: $119 (includes dinner)
Calgary Night Market 2016
- What: Featuring a variety of ethnic street foods, local vendors, buskers, and entertainment, the Calgary Night Market has everything from jewelry to clothes, to household items. The market is happening on the first and last Fridays of the month until September 9. Admission to the Night Market is free.
- When: September 9 from 4 to 10 pm
- Where: Central Memorial Park – 1221 2nd Street SW
- Event page: facebook.com
LEGO Imagine Nation Tour Calgary
- What: Calgary’s first ever LEGO Imagine Nation Tour is coming to town this weekend, bringing along expert Master Builders and unique LEGO creations galore.The brick-building extravaganza features 13 different pavilions and 20 stunning life-sized LEGO models. Attendees at the show, the largest LEGO building event ever to hit Canada, will have a chance to learn building tricks from one of only eight Master Builders in the world.
- Where: BMO Centre – 20 Roundup Way SW
- When: Friday, September 9 from 4 to 8 pm – Saturday and Sunday times as well
- Tickets: Available online, $28.50 for general admission
The Book of Mormon at the Jube
- What: Trey Parker and Matt Stone’s gift for satire has only grown through their years of making South Park. The Book of Mormon focuses on two bright-eyed young men on their first mission with the Church of Latter Day Saints. The structure of the show is classic: the perfect Mormon student is paired with the goofy side-kick and sent to a world that neither of them could have prepared for.
- When: September 6-11
- Where: Southern Alberta Jubilee Auditorium – 1415 14th Avenue NW
Mid-Autumn Night Market
- What: Lovers of night markets, mark your calendars, the Mid-Autumn Night Market is hitting Calgary.The Mid-Autumn Night Market coincides with the Mid-Autmn Festival, a celebration based on the lunar calendar that occurs when the moon is at its roundest and brightest. This symbolizes togetherness and reunion in Chinese culture.
- When: Friday, September 9 to Sunday, September 11; various times.
- Where: Calgary Chinese Cultural Centre – 197 First Street SW
Visit a Farmers’ Market
Popular among chefs, home cooks, and local gastronomes, farmers’ markets have become an integral part of Calgary’s food landscape. Not only do these community events grant local farmers, growers, and bakers the opportunity to connect with urban folk but they also provide them with a space to show off their seasonal favourites. Here’s a quick list of a few.
- Calgary Farmers’ Market
- Crossroads Market
- Symons Valley Ranch
- DJ Market
- Hillhurst Sunnyside Farmers’ Market
- Marda Loop Farmers’ Market
One Love Music Festival
- What: Canada’s largest hip hop festival returns to Calgary on September 10 with a jaw-dropping roster that features Big Sean, Tyler the Creator and more. Last year’s inaugural One Love Fest lured 8,000 hip hop fans to the festival grounds; organizers are hoping to increase that figure and have promised improved sight lines and amenities for this year’s attendees.
- When: Saturday, September 10 and Sunday, September 11
- Where: Elliston Park – 1827 68 Street SE
- Tickets: Weekend passes start at $169.99.
EYEFAVOUR men’s clothing store pop
- What: EYEFAVOUR men’s clothing store pops-up at Cannibale Barbershop and Bar for the weekend. The European inspired boutique began when two Brits from England moved to Calgary and missed the clothes, styles and brands from over the pond. They are the only online shop in Canada when you can find Sergio Tacchini. They also carry brands like Fred Perry and Ben Sherman.
- Where: Cannibale – 813 1st Avenue NE
- When: Saturday, September 10 and Sunday, September 11 from 12 to 7 pm
Circle the Wagons
- What: An awesome festival brought to us by BassBus, YYCFoodTrucks & Village Brewery, Circle the Wagon featurelocal food, beer, music, art and performers. This is the third annual event raising funds for community initiatives, and features music from Beats Antique DJ Set ft. David Satori & Sidecar Tommy, GOLDFISH, Pomo, JPod, Pat Lok, and so much more
- When: Saturday, September 10 at 11 am
- Where: University District Park, West Campus Blvd NW
- Tickets: Available online from $17.50 to $35. All ages
Movies on the Rise: Jurassic World
- What: Catch a classic movie at St. Patricks Island’s outdoor 9-metre high natural amphitheatre. This week’s feature movie Jurassic World. Bring a tarp or lawn mat as your chairs won’t work on the steep slope. There is pedestrian access to St. Patrick’s Island from East Village and Bridgeland via the George C. King Bridge.
- Where: St. Patrick’s Island – 1300 Zoo Road NE
- When: Saturday, September 10 from 8:30 to 10:30 pm
Downtown Calgary Ghost Tour
- What: Walk among the historic buildings and streets of downtown Calgary. Hear about stories from the Glen Bow Museum and Ft. Calgary archives, newspapers, assorted ghost story books and personal accounts & interviews. Your guide will be dressed in a black cape and carrying a lantern so they will stand out a bit. They will also be at the start of the tour at approximately 5 to 10 minutes before the tour begins.
- Where: Base of Calgary Tower – 101 9th Avenue SW
- When: Saturday, September 10 at 8 pm
- Cost: $15
Bike The Village
- What: Village Ice Cream is holding its first ever Bike The Village event next Sunday, giving riders an ice cream lunch, happy hour and dinner at each of its three locations. The bike ride on September 11 kicks off at the Garrison Corner location, where each rider will get a wristband for a free waffle cone or sundae everywhere they go.
- Where: Meet at Village Ice Cream – 2406 34 Avenue SW
- When: Sunday, September 11, from 1 to 4 pm
- Tickets: On Eventbrite, $8
- What: Calling all dim sum lovers: Mark your calendars for the first ever pop-up dim sum extravaganza headed to Calgary this September. The event will run over three non-consecutive days (September 4, 11, and 18). Each day will have its own theme. Enter The Dumpling will take place on September 4 (there are no more reservations available for this event, however, walk-ins welcome), Crouching Gai Lan Hidden Wonton will take place on September 11, and Ginger Beef in the Bronxwill take place on September 18.
- When: September 11, and 18 (for times please check website)
- Where: Commonwealth Bar & Stage – 731 10th Avenue SW
- Tickets: Limited reservations are available by signing up to SUM SUM’s newsletter via their website
Illuminasia Lantern and Garden Festival 2016
- What: The Illuminasia Lantern and Garden Festival returns to the Calgary Zoo for the second year in a row, and this time around there are 145 extra lanterns to dazzle you. The lanterns are seasonal-themed this year, so you’ll be taken on a journey from winter to spring, and they’ll depict culturally significant animals as well as zoo favourites. Relish in the arts of Chinese, Japanese, Vietnamese, and Korean cultures, and check out live music, an art gallery, and garden displays as well.
- Where: Calgary Zoo – 1300 Zoo Road NE
- When: Thursday, September 8 to Sunday, October 16
Something Old, Something New: 125 Years of Wedding Fashion
- What: See some of the most trendsetting and common wedding dresses in Alberta from the last 125 years. The exhibition features collections from the Museum of the Highwood, the Red Deer Museum, the Royal Alberta Museum, the Lougheed House Conservation Society, as well as numerous private collections.
- Where: Lougheed House – 707 13th Avenue SW
- When: Now until October 2
- Cost: Regular admission $8.50
- What: David Crosby has sold millions of albums and has been inducted into the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame twice – as a member of Crosby, Stills & Nash, and a founding member of The Byrds. Expect the singer-songwriter to perform songs from both periods, in addition to songs from Croz, his first solo album in 20 years.
- When: Sunday, September 11 at 7:30 pm
- Where: Jack Singer Concert Hall, 205 8th Avenue S.E.
- Tickets: Available online from $20 to $720. All ages
- What: For the more adventurous side in you, try The Skyline Luge. It’s a three-wheeled cart, part go-kart and part toboggan that is thrilling for all ages and abilities.
- Where: Skyline Luge Calgary – 88 Canada Olympic Road SW
- When: Now until October 9
- Cost: $15 for 1 ride; $23 for 2 rides; $32 for 5 rides