19 things to do in Calgary this weekend: December 31 and January 1
Dec 31 2016, 2:32 am
Yes it’s cold, but no that doesn’t mean there’s nothing to do around town to cheer you up.
End 2016 off with a bang and check out one of these events happening around Calgary!
- 7 places to snowshoe in and around Calgary this winter
- 12 best Calgary New Year’s Eve 2017 parties
- 7 family-friendly things to do on New Year’s Eve in Calgary
Winter CARnival at Heritage Park
- What: Travel through time, exploring winter past, present and future. Take part in games and activities from the familiar to the fantastic as you explore the Gasoline Alley Museum. Crafts include creating your own custom pocket watch, composing a prediction about the future in a time capsule, designing your time machine and more!
- Where: Gasoline alley, Heritage Park – 1900 Heritage Dr SW
- When: Saturday, December 31 from 10am to 3 pm
- Cost: Regular admission
Check out the Best Christmas Light Displays in YYC
- What:Want to check out some beautiful light displays, without having to break the bank? Check out the Calgary Christmas Lights Map Marker and drive around the city to holiday music, as you discover the many creative light displays that Calgarians have put up at their homes.
- Where: Calgary and surrounding areas
- Cost: FREE
Go skating outdoors
- What: Now that winter seems to have finally settled in for the long haul, it’s time for the winter activities to commence. Grab a few friends, some hot chocolate and bundle up in your warmest, yet stylish winter attire and go skating on one of Calgary’s many outdoor rinks that are well maintained by either the city or volunteers within the community. Don’t own a pair of skates? Rent a pair at your nearest outdoor center or at specific rinks around the city – see website more for details!
- Where: Various rinks throughout Calgary
- Cost: FREE
Slipper: A Distinctly Calgarian Cinderella Story
- What: A Stampede talent show, a guitar playing teenager and handsome time traveler, could it get any more Calgarian than that? Well, minus the time traveller perhaps – but you get the point. Laugh along to jokes about life in #yyc in this modern day Calgary adaptation of this unique British fairy tale.
- Where: Martha Cohen Theatre – 215 8th Avenue SE
- When: November 22 to December 31
- Cost: $25-$72
Check out WinSport’s Acura Tube Park
- What: Calgary’s only tube park is the largest of its kind in Western Canada and it opens for the season on Saturday, December 17. The park is located on the main hill, which allows tubers to take advantage of the washrooms, eateries, retail store and other amenities located in the Frank King Day Lodge. It features 10 lanes, each of which are 200 metres in length.
- Where: WinSport’s Canada Olympic Park – 88 Canada Olympic Road SW
The Mac’s Midget AAA Tournament
- What: The Mac’s Midget AAA World Invitational Tournament is a prestigious ice hockey tournament held annually from December 26 to January 1, for midget aged players in Calgary. First held in 1978 as the CP Challenge Cup, the tournament features 25 male and 15 female teams from across Canada, the United States and Europe.
- Where: Max Bell Arena and Scotia Bank Saddledome
- When: December 26 to January 1
- Cost: Championship tickets $10
- What: This Calgarian holiday tradition continues to live on year after year! Stay warm by dressing in layers and consuming delicious hot chocolate, as you roam through the 200 beautiful light displays, such as the all time favourite, ‘lovers lane’, and other unique light shows set up throughout the Calgary Zoo.
- Where: The Calgary Zoo – 210 St. George’s Drive NE
- When: Now until January 8 nightly from 6 to 9 pm
- Cost: $14.99 Adults, $11.99 Kids
Calgary Flames vs. Arizona Coyotes
- What: Cheer on the Calgary Flames on New Year’s Eve as they battle it out on home ice against the Arizona Coyotes.
- Where: Scotiabank Saddledome – 555 Saddledome Rise SE
- When: Game time starts at 8 pm
- Cost: $40+
Noon Year’s Eve at TELUS Spark
- What: Already have plans in the evening on the last day of the year? Or maybe you have a few early sleepers in the family. Either way, lots of cool activities await at Spark Science Centre. An explosive countdown with hydrogen balloons starts at 11:45 am and celebrations end with a bubble wrap party with some serious stomping and popping on the dance floor.
- Where: TELUS Spark Science Centre – 220 St. George’s Drive NE
- When: 9am to 5pm
- Cost: $12.95 to $19.95
NYE Downtown Family Dance Party
- What: Families don’t want to skip this free, glow-in-the-dark party at the Municipal Building. For the young in age and young at heart, families can expect fun craft activities, a bouncy castle, stilt walkers, a magician, and a kids’ countdown at 9 pm. Bring your comfy dancing shoes, and wear some splashy neon colours or anything white.
- Where: Municipal Building Atrium – 800 Macleod Trail SE
- When: 7 to 9pm
- Cost: Free
NYE Downtown Outdoor Celebrations
- What: For those who want to take it to the next level and stay awake until midnight, continue the party outside at Olympic Plaza complete with live music and entertainment by local DJs, Cowtown Opera, and performances by Canadian rock band, 54.40 and Eve Hell and the Razors. Bundle up and bring a pair of skates too or check out the live ice sculpture carvings, ice slide, light-based art installations, and more. Broadcast live on CTV, the evening leads up to a final countdown with fireworks to ring in 2017.
- Where: Olympic Plaza – 228 8 Avenue SE
- When: 8pm to midnight
- Cost: Free
Zoo Year’s Eve at the Calgary Zoo
- What: If you don’t get a chance to check out ZOOLIGHTS at the Calgary Zoo during the Christmas rush, now’s your chance to go in celebration of NYE. Due to ongoing construction, no fireworks will happen during this year’s ZOOLIGHTS programming, but families can still expect a festive atmosphere. Wander the grounds and soak up the 1.5 million lights, animated displays, fire pits, ice skating, and more.
- When: 6 to 9pm
- Where: Calgary Zoo – 210 St. George’s Drive NE
- Cost: $11.99 to $14.99, free for infants
Sub Rosa New Years Eve party
- What: If you still haven’t locked down your New Year’s Eve plans, consider something a little different. Sub Rosa, an exclusive hushed lounge known for its killer cocktails, stunning design, and air of mystery, is opening for its first ever New Year’s party, complete with free bubbly and 90s music.
- Where: Sub Rosa – hidden beneath the heritage building at the corner of 8th Avenue and 1st Street. Enter under the neon symbol at 200 8th Avenue SW
- When: December 31, starting at 9 pm
- Who: Ages 25 and older
- Tickets: $30. Can purchase them online
Single and the City – Singles New Years Eve Gala
- What: Receive a white rose if you are single and a red rose if you are in a relationship and experience the energy of New York with Calgary’s sexiest singles. Walk the runway and strike your best pose, paparazzi, fashion show and much more to put you in the New York state of mind. There will be a side room dedicated for fun interactive games to break the ice and allow you to meet other singles ready to take a chance.
- Where: Arts Commons’ Jack Singer Lobby – 205 8th Avenue SE
- When: Saturday, December 31 from 7 pm to 2 am
- Tickets: $52.50, $74.95
New Years Eve Masquerade Gala
- What: Walk the red carpet with video crews onsite waiting to interview you and yours, backdrop photos, dancers, masquerade girls and much more! In the main room dab to the best hip hop, R&B and old school with GUMMI & Bugsy Brown. Opening DJs Nerdz II Men will be on stage from 9 to 10:30pm. In the side room get a dose of Bollywood with Fantom Entertainment featuring DJ Chuks.
- Where: Metropolitan Centre – 333 4th Avenue SW
- When: Saturday, December 31
- Tickets: $50 until Christmas Day, then $75 while quantities last
New Years in Miami – NYE 2017
- What: Celebrate New Years Eve down at Marquee for a MIAMI themed event! The night will feature music headlined by DJs Rocswell and Dj Don Juan. Get in for free before 9pm or opt for the VIP package with includes hors d’œuvre and champagne.
- Where: Marquee Beer Market & Stage – 4630 Macleod Trail S
- When: Saturday, December 31 from 7pm to 2am
- Tickets: Before 9pm free, general $9-$25, $49 for VIP
AMP Radio’s Better NYE Bash
- What: A great party at an affordable price. Party all night long with beats from Drumndj with DJ AL. V and Kay L as well entertainment from the illFX Entertainment dancers. And to top things off, your friends from AMP Radio will be there to bring in the new year with you.
- Where: Flames Central – 219 8th Avenue SW
- When: Saturday, December 31 from 9pm to 2am
- Tickets: $30
Calgary Ice Break Polar Dip
- What: The SA (Servants Anonymous) Foundation hosts an annual Ice Break Polar Dip to raise awareness and funds to support great organizations tackling difficult issues of poverty and injustice. This year will make the 8th year of the dip. Watch and support as people take the plunge.
- Where: Elbow Valley Residents Club – 100, 100 Misty Morning Dr
- When: Sunday, January 1
Salute to Vienna New Year’s Concert
- What: Welcome 2017 with this elegant concert tradition. A stunning new program featuring Strauss waltzes and sweeping melodies from operettas will be performed by a full orchestra, acclaimed European singers, ballroom dancers, and ballet. Fall for the Blue Danube Waltz all over again!
- Where: Jack Singer Concert Hall –
- When: Sunday, January 1 from 2:30 to 5 pm