The Calgary Marathon is right around the corner — exciting news for the city’s runners, but a potential headache for its drivers.
The marathon will feature six different races, ranging from a Kids Marathon all the way up to a 50 K Ultra. Naturally, that much distance takes up quite a bit of pavement, so Calgarians can expect some road closures come Sunday morning.
The Calgary Marathon has provided a map depicting exactly where the marathon will be navigating through Calgary on Sunday, May 27, with the most notable closures occurring on 11th Avenue and Memorial Drive.
The City of Calgary has put together a list of all the road closures, restrictions, and impediments that are expected to start at 6 am on Sunday and remain in place until 3 pm that same day:
- Olympic Way SE / 4th Street SE will be closed between 9th Avenue SE and Stampede Trail SE
- 9th Avenue SE will be closed between 3rd Street SE and 12th Street SE
- 11th Avenue will be reduced to two westbound lanes from Olympic Way SE to 14th Street SW
- 12th Street will be closed between 9th Avenue SE and 1st Avenue NE
- 1st Avenue NE will be closed between 12th Street NE and 4th Street NE
- 4th Street NE. will be reduced to one lane on the east side from 1st Avenue NE to Riverfront Avenue NE.
- Memorial Drive will be reduced to one lane in each direction between 10th Street NW and the Reconciliation Bridge (4th Street NE)
- Memorial Drive will be completely closed between 10th Street NW and Crowchild Trail NW
- Riverfront Avenue will be closed from 1st Street SW to 6th Street SE
- 5th Street SW will be restricted to northbound traffic only between 18th Avenue SW and Elbow Drive SW.
- Southbound Elbow Drive will be reduced to one right lane from 5th Street SW to 30th Avenue SW.
- At Flanders Avenue SW ramps both directions on Crowchild Trail SW will be closed.
- Eastbound 50th Avenue SW (Mount Royal Gate) will have a right lane closure from Crowchild Trail to 21st Street SW.
To both marathon participants and anyone just trying to drive through downtown on Sunday: Good luck!