Every November 11 Canadians across the country take a moment to pay their respects to our fallen.
Calgary will be hosting multiple ceremonies throughout the city for residents to attend, along with implementing some changes to city services on Saturday.
- 9 Remembrance Day ceremonies in Calgary 2017
- Rachel Notley names November 10 'Passchendaele Day' on battle's 100th anniversary
- Calgary Tim Hortons taking heat for controversial poppy donuts
All veterans in uniform or with their identification cards will be allowed to ride transit for free on Remembrance Day, along with their accompanying family members.
On-street parking will be free on November 11, and holiday rates will be in effect for parkades and select surface lots.
Free family swims are also running from 1 to 2:30 pm and 3 to 4:30 pm at Bob Bahan Aquatic & Fitness Centre, Glenmore Aquatic Centre, Sir Winston Churchill Aquatic & Recreation Centre, and Thornhill Aquatic & Recreation Centre.
Some roads will be closed on November 11 due to ceremonies being held at Memorial Drive Field and Central Memorial Park, including:
- From 8 am to noon there will be no parking between 2nd and 4th Street SW along both sides of 13th Avenue and the south side of 12th Avenue SW, and on 12th Avenue SW between 4th and 5th Street SW along the north side.
- 4th Street between 12th Avenue SW and 13th Avenue SW will be closed to traffic, and 4th Street will be closed southbound between 11th Avenue SW and 12th Avenue SW.
- Two lanes will be closed on 12th Avenue between 4th Street SW and 5th Street SW.
- 12th Avenue between 2nd Street SW and 4th Street SW will be closed to traffic.
- 13th Avenue between 2nd Street SW and 4th Street SW will be closed to traffic.
- Westbound Memorial Drive at 4th Street NW will be closed. Downtown access via the 4th Avenue flyover. If you want to travel west, use Edmonton Trail to 16th Avenue NE.
- Eastbound Memorial Drive will be reduced to one lane between 3rd Street NW and Centre Street N.
- At 10:55 to 11:05 am eastbound Memorial Drive NW will be closed at 3rd Street NW (adjacent to Field of Crosses).
Calgary Soccer Centre, North Mount Pleasant Arts Centre, Wildflower Arts Centre, pools, and arenas (except for the ones mentioned above) will be closed on November 11, and all golf courses and athletic parks have been closed for the season.