Travellers arriving into Canada by air will be facing new requirements as of February 21, including a mandatory 3-night stay in a government-authorized hotel upon landing.
Hotels in Calgary that have been confirmed as government-authorized are the Acclaim Hotel and Marriott Calgary Airport.
Be aware that the current list of hotels is incomplete and will be finalized in the coming days.
- See also:
These hotels are generally for people who don’t have symptoms, have a negative pre-departure COVID-19 test result, and aren’t close contacts of people who have or may have COVID-19. They’re meant to accommodate travellers while they wait for their arrival test results.
Hotel stopover bookings are managed by American Express Global Business Travel and available by phone only.
The Government of Canada website states that, upon booking, travellers can choose from the list of authorized hotels and will be asked to provide:
- Traveller name(s)
- Date(s) of birth
- Arrival city and date
- Payment information
- Special requests and accessibility concerns
- Pet information
The cost of the stay is expected to be approximately $2,000, however, this may vary by location. This includes costs associated with the room, food, security, transportation, and infection prevention and control measures.
Travellers are permitted to drive themselves to one of the government-authorized hotels if their private vehicle is parked in one of the airport’s parking lots, within walking distance. Otherwise, travellers can take a designated shuttle bus for the government-authorized hotels, or a taxi or limousine.
As of February 21 at 11:59 pm ET, in addition to providing proof of a negative COVID-19 molecular test taken up to 72 hours before their scheduled departure time, travellers will be required to:
- Reserve a government-authorized hotel for 3 nights prior to departure to Canada
- Take a COVID-19 molecular test on arrival in Canada
- Stay in the government-authorized hotel while awaiting the results of the COVID-19 molecular test taken on arrival, and pay for the cost of the hotel stay and associated costs
- Take another COVID-19 molecular test later during their 14-day quarantine (test kit and instructions will be provided before leaving the airport)
To book your mandatory 3-night hotel stopover, call 1-800-294-8253.