Calgary’s spring festival season is officially upon us! This is a fun-filled occasion is meant for celebrating Calgary’s rich food, entertainment, film, music, arts and cultural scene, and really the very best of what our amazing city has to offer.
It’s a time to rejoice in the warmth that this new season brings, while creating vivid memories with your friends and family as you discover the exciting things that makes YYC so special.
This month, dive into Calgary’s up-and-coming foodie scene, while enjoying the arts and exploring different markets and expos in various genres and industries. There is something for everyone!
Keep your eyes out for these 9 festivals happening this April and come join the party!
What: UofC’s School of Creative and Performing Arts (SCPA) is excited to present the 2017 Taking Flight festival. For over a decade Taking Flight has celebrated the creativity and emerging talents of our students, undergraduate and graduate alike, by showcasing their broad range of projects across the performing arts. In addition to our regular Drama performances, this years festival has expanded to include an interdisciplinary performance, the popular [email protected]Noon and [email protected] events, as well as several Music concerts.
- Where: University of Calgary
- When: March 27 to April 8
- Cost: Admission varies per event
- What: Grab the whole family and head on down to the Stampede Grounds for a bit of pre-stampede fun! Learn how to milk a cow, shear sheep, auction livestock and find your way through the corn maze, as you learn where your food comes from without even leaving the city. Also check out the Clock, Stock and Barrel event happening on April 8 and the Calgary Stampede Spring Extreme Cowboy Race on April 9, while you meet and interact with all of the farm animals.
- Where: Stampede Park, Agrium Western Event Center and in the Agriculture Barn – 1410 Olympic Way SE
- When: April 8 to 9
- Cost: FREE
- What: Make It Calgary is back and better than ever! Grab a friend and come stroll the 175 local makers and artists being showcased at this exhibition. From clothing, accessories, art, home decor, delectable eats, baby and kids items and more, you’ll be sure to come home with some beautiful treasures that are unique and one-of-a-kind. Support the makers of our community and help our local economy continue to boom!
- Where: Big Four Building – 1410 Olympic Way SE
- When: April 7 to 9
- Cost: $5
- What: Come support your local independent filmmakers as they defy convention in all genres, at the 14th annual Calgary Underground Film Festival.
- Where: Globe Cinema – 617 8 Avenue SW
- When: April 17 – 23
- Cost: $120
- What: If you’re a foodie, this is an event you will want to write down on your calendar. Join YYCFoodTrucks for their first event of the year, kicking off yet another summer full of great food, music, community and fun-filled events.
- Where: Riverwalk Plaza East Village
- When: April 22 to 23
- Cost: $5 Entry
- What: Everyone’s favourite food festival is BACK! How exciting ‘eh!’ For an entire week, various restaurants around Calgary will be offering their own spin on this Canadian classic. The best part is that for every poutine sold during Poutine Week, provides a free meal to someone in need, thanks to MealShare. Eat poutine for a great cause; it doesn’t get much better than that!
- Where: Various restaurants around town
- When: April 21 to 29
- What: YYC Taco Fiesta is a new taco festival that runs at the end of April and into May. Participating eateries (which are to be announced) will offer either individual tacos for $4 to $6, or a larger taco platter that will be anywhere from $12 to $18. YYC Taco Fiesta aims to mobilize the taco-loving community and get people into restaurants to purchase these special dishes. Partial proceeds from the taco sales (15%) will be donated to the Calgary Homeless Foundation and Kids Up Front.
- Where: Over 30 participating restaurant in Calgary and the surrounding area
- When: Friday, April 28 to Friday, May 5
- What: The #CWCyyc is making a return and back and better than ever! Shop some of your favourite local artists and makers as you sip on craft cocktails. How else would you want to spend your Sunday?
- Where: Commonwealth Stage and Bar – 731 10 Ave
- When: April 30
- Cost: $5
- What: Comic enthusiasts rejoice! Come and spend a day or the entire weekend with some of your favourite comic characters, while exploring the various vendors, meeting famous media guests and participating in interactive video games and tabletop gaming. There will also be special events taking place throughout the weekend, such as on-night-only cast reunions for iconic TV series, concerts, Meet & Greet cocktails parties with Media Guests, costume showcases and so much more!
- Where: Calgary Stampede Park – 1410 Olympic Way SE
- When: April 27 to 30
- Cost: $375 to $25 – varies depending on ticket type