Not all of Calgary’s intersections are well-oiled, traffic-directing machines; that kind of goes without saying for a city with over one million residents.
Sometimes roads intersect in awkward ways, other times there’s simply just too much going on. While the intersections in the city are far too numerous to count, we did manage to round up some of the worst offenders – with the help of the City of Calgary’s website.
- Bryan Adams is bringing his Ultimate Tour to Calgary this summer
- 21 Calgarians recognized as heroes by the Calgary Fire Department
- Calgary weather this week actually warms up a bit with clear skies
That one turn on your way to work that seriously needs a light? You’re not the only one keeping an eye on it, as the City has an entire database to determine what intersection may be in need of traffic signal installations.
A list is compiled through the Transportation Association of Canada’s warrant procedure, which assigns signal-less intersections with a TAC Score. If that score is over 100, a signal is warranted. Anything between 80 and 99, and that intersection will go on the watch list. Anything below 79 means that the city won’t need to study the intersection for another two years.
According to the City of Calgary, six intersections have scored above 100 in the latest study – so these are the places you may be seeing a shiny new traffic light in commutes to come.
Riverfront Avenue and 1st Street SW
TAC Score: 188
128th Avenue and Redstone Street/Skyview Ranch Road NE
TAC Score: 166
Bridlewood Road and James McKevitt Road SW
TAC Score: 148
80th Avenue and Martha’s Way/52nd Street NE
TAC Score: 137
Shaganappi Trail and Sherwood Gate NW
TAC Score: 128
Westwinds Drive and 47th Street NE
TAC Score: 102
While Calgary only has six intersections that score over 100, there are a total of eight roadways scoring between 80 and 99, placing them on the city’s watch list:
- Macleod Trail and Riverfront Avenue SE: 98 TAC Score
- Hidden Valley Drive and Shaganappi Trail NW: 90 TAC Score
- 34th Avenue and Garrison Gate/22nd Street SW: 86 TAC Score
- Heritage Drive and 15th Street SE: 85 TAC Score
- Heritage Meadows Drive SE and The Brick and Superstore Entrance: 85 TAC Score
- Elgin Meadows Way/Promenade Way and Mckenzie Towne Drive SE: 83 TAC Score
- 17th Avenue and Aspen Stone Boulevard/St. Moritz Drive SW: 83 TAC Score
- Copperfield Boulevard/New Brighton Highway and McIvor Boulevard SE: 82 TAC Score
Calgarians can report a damaged traffic signals, as well as request a new traffic or left turn signal, by going to the City of Calgary’s website.