Let’s be perfectly honest, the market for trendy, Instagramable coffee shops will never be too saturated!
With so many amazing local roasters popping up, Calgary’s coffee game is undoubtably going strong.
There really is no better way to start off the morning than with a steamy brew in hand and a delicious baked-good in the other. Posting up at a local coffee shop is the best way to get the creative juices flowing, motivate your workflow, all while supporting the hard work and passion of the entrepreneurs that made that magical caffeinated spot possible.
Whether you’re a freelancer or small business owner yourself looking for a getaway to spend a few hours crunching out deadlines, or simply looking for a new spot to go on a coffee date, there are so many new cafés popping up all over the city.
Here are 10 new ones to add to your #yyc café bucket list!
- Here's how to get into outdoor rock climbing in Calgary right now
- Calgary's Pin-Bar is officially open, and it looks totally rad (PHOTOS)
- Calgary will soon be home to the two largest YMCAs in the world (PHOTOS)
- What: What all started with a percolated cup of coffee on a backpacking trip in Calgary’s Rocky Mountais has now become a full fledged local coffee business, and, more recently, a café in UNDRCARD Boxing Studio. With notes of chocolate, toffee, and caramel, a hot cup of this steamy brew will be the perfect refresh after a sweat sesh in the ring. Even if you’re not there to work out, there’s plenty of seating to enjoy available for a meeting, or to simply get some work done in a different atmosphere!
- Where: UNDRCARD Boxing Studio – 349 10th Avenue SW
- Weekdays: 7 am to 6 pm
- Weekend: 8 am to 1 pm
- What: Monogram Coffee opened the doors to it’s third location in Calgary earlier this year. With its well known brand and minimalistic aesthetic, the entire shop is easy on the eye. The Insta-worthy tiled backdrop accentuated by natural lighting and charming wooden benches means that this spot will inspire you to get on top of that latest creative endeavour! Whether there’s rain, sun, or snow, we highly recommend trying their new handcrafted coffee soft serve provided in collaboration with Made By Marcus.
- Where: 800 49th Avenue SW
- Monday – Friday: 6 am to 9 pm
- Saturday: 7 am to 9 pm
- Sunday: 7 am to 6 pm
- What: For all you nine to fivers, there is now a local coffee option located centrally downtown in the new Brookfield Place that will give you a break from your regular caffeine watering hole! This is the sixth location of this Alberta coffee chain and will be serving up lots of their signature Nutella latte, along with other specialty beverages and tasty pastries all baked in-house every morning.
- Where: 225 6th Avenue SW (1st level)
- Monday to Friday: 7 am to 5 pm
- Weekends: Closed
- What: Although it’s not specifically a coffee shop, the melt-in-your-mouth pastries from this new French bakery are the perfect companion to your morning coffee. In the past you could only find these delicacies at well-known cafes, such as Sought x Found Coffee Roasters and Monogram Coffee, but now you can get your favourites at their brand-new location in the historic Devenish Building. From Earl grey croissants to almond chocolate bread pudding to cranberry lemon poppyseed scones, your taste buds will be doing a happy dance as soon as you step into this small-batch patisserie.
- Where: Suite 111 – 908, 17th Avenue SW
- Tuesday to Friday: 7:30 am
- Saturday: 10 am
- **Closed when their pastry case is empty!
- What: Located in Chinatown, this boutique café looks to combine the quality and taste of artisan coffee with the charm and traditional treats of an old Chinese bakery. They’ll be offering exciting espresso-based beverages, as well as freshly-made Chinese-inspired baked goods made in-house every morning. This is not your average grab-and-go coffee hotspot, but is instead a cultural experience that will fuel your day and give you a unique caffeine fix that you won’t find anywhere else in the city.
- Where: 100 3rd Avenue SE
- Weekdays from 6:30 am to 6:30 pm
- Weekends from 8 am to 6:30 pm
- What: This new neighbourhood coffee shop is surely to become a staple in Beltline. With cozy leather couches, wooden benches, and timeless art work, this coffee infused space is perfect for anyone looking for creative inspiration – writers of the city rejoice! You can always rely on a hot coffee brewed from Calgary’s Fratello Coffee Roasters alongside tasty baked-goods from Corbeaux Bakery. However, you can also find a second roaster feature that will change every few months, giving you the opportunity to try out a blend that you won’t find anywhere else in YYC. Lastly, their claim to fame so far has been their latte flights, which gives you the opportunity to try various types of espresso made in different ways. There’s no lack caffeine here!
- Where: 1223 11th Avenue SW
- Monday to Wednesday: 7 am to 7:30 pm
- Thursday to Friday: 7 am to 9 pm
- Saturday: 8 am to 9 pm
- Sunday: 8 am to 6 pm
- What: Marking the seventh location of this local Calgary favourite, you can expect the usual high standards that you find at any of their other locations. Amazing design, delicious coffee, and scrumptious breakfast, lunch, and pastry options – this café does it all exceptionally well. With hanging plants and a large outdoor patio, this space is nothing short of inspirational, especially in the summer. If you’re looking for something new to try from their menu, the breakfast sandwich is highly recommended.
- Where: 2102 Centre Street N
- Monday to Friday: 7 am to 8 pm
- Saturday: 7 am to 8 pm
- Sunday: 8 am to 5 pm
- What: This Calgary landmark has been a staple to the community since 1951 in Bridgeland, and now has a new location in Killarney. This location originally opened it’s doors in 2010, but has only recently saw the addition of coffee. Grab you’re favourite record, find your pharmacy needs, and leave with a hot cuppa-joe – sounds good to us! Stay tuned for more information on their recent collaboration with the new Calgary Public Library.
- Where: 3407 26th Avenue SW
- Monday to Friday: 9 am to 6 pm
- Saturday: 10 am to 6 pm
- Sunday: 10 am to 4 pm
- What: This laid back French patisserie is the perfect spot to work on a deadline, chat with friends, or simply read a good book while sneaking in some people watching (because, honestly, we all do it). Their selection of delicate hand-crafted baked goods will have you craving some sweets and buttery croissants. In addition to sweet treats, they also offer a variety of bistro lunch options, which are comparable to the one-of-a-kind baguette sandwiches you can only find in Paris. Paired with an espresso you might actually have to do a double take. Oui oui!
- Where: 1007 8th Street SW
- Monday to Tuesday: 7:30 am to 5:30 pm
- Wednesday to Thursday: 7:30 am to 6:30 pm
- Friday: 7:30 am to 8 pm
- Saturday: 9 am to 7 pm
- Sunday: 9 am to 5 pm
What: Adorned with reclaimed wood, this new Bridgeland gem is serving up caffeinated beverages like it’s their day job – so it’s a good thing that it is! With freshly baked goods from Butter Block, guilty pleasures from McGuire Chocolate, and, of course, some delicious coffee, this spot is perfect for a coffee date with the gals, grabbing a quick snack, or mid-week worksesh.
- Where: 916 Centre Street NE
- Monday to Friday: 7:30 am to 5:30 pm
- Saturday: 8:30 am to 6 pm
- Sunday: Closed