Step aside, Rocky Ridge… Calgary is about to house the world’s largest YMCA in town.
The new Seton Recreation Facility, which is currently an under-construction rec centre that will be operated by the YMCA but owned by the city, will encompass a massive 330,000 square feet once completed.
That’s a full 46,000 square feet more than Calgary’s Shane Holmes YMCA, which is currently the largest YMCA in the world.
Inside the Seton Recreation’s 330,000 square foot space will be a whole host of facilities, including but not limited to a 10 lane pool, a 25,000 square foot library, a 250 seat theatre, and two multi-purpose ice rinks.
However, probably the most anticipated addition to the new building is the surf simulator that will be a part of the pool area, where swimmers will get to try their
hand feet at riding some smooth waves.
The pool will also feature a lazy river, diving boards, and a waterslide.
Fitness junkies will be able to harness the building’s three multi-purpose gymnasiums, 200 metre running track, and the fitness studios/centre.
The facility, located at 19340 45th Street SE, is expected to open in 2019, meaning that Shane Holmes YMCA will remain on top for another year or so.
We’ll just be counting down the days until we can try out that surf simulator.
Here’s a full list of facilities expected for the Seton Recreation Facility, which is located at:
- 50m, 10 lane competition pool
- Water Park
- Spectator viewing area
- Leisure pool
- Hot tubs and steam room
- 2 multi-purpose ice rinks
- 3 Gymnasiums with multi-purpose flooring
- Fitness centre with cardio and strength training equipment
- Fitness/aerobics studios
- 200m running/walking track
- Large and small rooms for use as studios, classrooms and meeting spaces
- 25,000 sq. ft. full service library
- Youth centre with dedicated space for youth activities and programs
- Art making, studio and gallery space
- 250 seat theatre
- Childcare/child minding
- Food services
- Physiotherapy/medical clinic