As Calgary gears up for the Greatest Show On Earth, it’s worth noting there’s going to be a whole host of changes to transit during the Calgary Stampede and Parade.
- All Calgary transit passes discounted during the Stampede
- 105 free pancake breakfasts to devour during Stampede
The parade spans 4.5 kilometers along the following route (note it’s reversed):
- Begins at 9th Avenue and 1st Street SE and travels west.
- Turns north at 9th Avenue and 10th Street SW
- Turns east at 6th Avenue and 10th Street SW
- Finishes at 6th Avenue and 3rd Street SE
To make way for the parade, the following buses will be detoured on Friday between 7 am and 1 pm:
- During the Stampede Parade, the following routes will be on detour:
Route 1, 2, 3, 4, 6, 7, 10, 13, 17, 18, 24, 62, 63, 64, 69, 70, 75, 90, 102, 103, 107, 109, 110, 112, 116, 117, 125, 126, 133, 142, 151, 300, 301, 302, 305, 411, & 449.
Meanwhile, the following buses will be split into north and south legs during the parade:
- Route 17 – south and northbound buses affected
For full details of the detoured routes, check the Calgary Transit website: calgarytransit.com/service-updates, sign up for Calgary Transit email alerts, or follow Calgary Transit on Twitter @calgarytransit.
Getting to the Calgary Stampede
C-Trains run 24 hours a day during the Stampede from the evening of Thursday, July 6, to the morning of Sunday, July 16.
There are two C-Train stations that connect directly to the Stampede grounds:
- Victoria Park / Stampede Station at the north end (near the BMO Round-Up Centre)
- Erlton / Stampede Station at the south end (near the Indian Village)
The C-Train schedule will be as follows:
- Every 5 to 8 min. – 6 am to 12:45 am
- Every 15 to 30 min. – 12:45 am to 5 am
Be aware that Centre Street and City Hall stations become extremely crowded between 11:30 am and 1 pm as people head to the Stampede.
Platforms can also be very busy at the end of the night, between 10:30 and 11:30 pm as most of the Stampede shuts down at 11 pm.
There are also shuttle buses available at:
- 1 Street and 7 Avenue SW
- Macleod Trail and 7 Avenue SW
And if you’re travelling from Centre Street North, there will be a Stampede Express Bus – Route 304 – starting at North Pointe Terminal, with 11 stops on the way to the grounds.
Route 304 schedule:
- Every 7 to 15 min. until 1:00 a.m.
You can pre-purchase transit day passes for the duration of the Stampede for about 30% off.
The passes will be valid for the entire day to get you anywhere you need to be in Calgary.
The rate for adults will be $6.50, down from $10, and youth passes will be $4.50, down from $7.
For more info on transit during the Calgary Stampede, check the Calgary Transit website: calgarytransit.com/news/stampede-101
You can also easily walk – from the end of the Parade route on 6 Avenue and Macleod Trail, it is only a 10 – 15 minute walk to the main gates.