A long-term care centre in Calgary has seen 4 cases of coronavirus

Mar 24 2020, 3:35 pm

A long-term care centre in Calgary has seen a number of cases of COVID-19.

Alberta’s Chief Medical Officer of Health Dr. Deena Hinshaw announced during a coronavirus update on Tuesday that a woman in her 80s, a resident of the McKenzie Towne Continuing Care Centre, had died as a result of the virus.

Hinshaw also announced that two other residents, as well as a staff member of the facility, had also tested positive.

Eleven other residents are showing symptoms of coronavirus, though their tests are currently pending.

“News of this death and other potential infections in a long term care facility will be distressing for many people. You may be listening to me right now from a long term care facility, or you may have a loved one who lives in one,” Hinshaw stated at the Tuesday press conference.

“Although I want to reiterate that most people who become ill with COVID will experience only mild symptoms, it can make others very sick. This is why we have taken the extreme measures we have and why I cannot emphasize enough the importance for all Albertans to follow all public health guidance.”

Hinshaw also noted that the staff member who tested positive had no recent travel history, and had ceased working once they became symptomatic.

Other staff members who were in contact with the staff member in question or the residents who tested positive will be identified and isolated, Hinshaw said.

“In long term care and other continuing care facilities where some of our most vulnerable citizens reside, we have taken additional measures to prevent the spread of COVID-19,” she said at the press conference.

“Last week we restricted access to these facilities to only essential visitors, whom must undergo health screening prior to entry. We are continuing to look at additional measures for continuing care and long term care facilities that operators and staff could implement to further limit the risk to the residents. As soon as these are finalized we will communicate them.”

The two residents who tested positive for the virus are both in stable condition.