It only took five days, but you finally made it all the way back to the weekend!
Celebrate your journey by living it up at any of these great events taking place around Calgary over the next few days.
- Celebrities to keep an eye out for around Calgary this weekend
- Calgary mom given ticket for taking her kids on a bike ride
- Plane forced to land on Calgary street due to 'loss of power'
Friday, April 27
- What: Join the locals for Market Collective’s first market of 2018! Come ready to consume some delicious eats, drink all the yummy drinks, and shop a whole variety of products. Our city is filled with local talent, so come down and support all of these small businesses and take home some quality, handmade gems.
- When: April 27 to 29
- Friday: 4 pm to 9 pm
- Saturday to Sunday: 10 am to 6 pm
- Where: Calgary Chinese Cultural Centre – 197 1st Street SW
- Admission: $5 for the weekend, kids 12 and under are FREE
- What: Eating tacos for a good cause… now that’s a challenge we’re up for! Participating eateries (which are to be announced) will offer either individual tacos for $4 to $6, or a larger taco platter that will be anywhere from $12 to $18. What’s best is that 15% of every taco sold will be donated to the Calgary Homeless Foundation and Kids Up Front.
- When: April 27 to May 6
- Where: See participating resultants here!
- What: Breakfast has just been taken to a whole new level! Enjoy a delicious waffle paired with Spiked Eggnog, a Mimosa (or two), and/or an Irish coffee.
- When: On now
- Where: Buttermilk Fine Waffles – 330 17th Avenue SW
- What: Prepare to laugh until you cry as Gerry Dee takes the stage for a hilarious and unforgettable night.
- When: Friday, April 27
- Time: 7:30 pm
- Where: Southern Alberta Jubilee Auditorium – 1415 14th Avenue NW
- Tickets: Ticketmaster, $49 to $89
- What: Did someone say road trip? Grab some pals and your camera and go cruising on this stretch of highway between Jasper and Lake Louise. The views are tremendous, just make sure you don’t limit you to one single destination. It’s all about the drive and what you’ll discover!
- Where: Highway between Jasper and Lake Louise
Saturday, April 28
- What: Join Lululemon every Saturday morning for a fun morning run through iconic mountain landscapes and a chance to escape the hustle and bustle of the busy town streets!
- When: Every Saturday morning
- Time: 9 am
- Where: Lululemon Banff – 121 Banff Avenue, Banff
- Admission: Free!
Hit the slopes for spring skiing
- What: Our mountainous backyard is just waiting for us with a fluffy layer of the white stuff, perfect for winter sports and activities. Take advantage and get some spring shredding in, or take your snowshoes for an adventure around one of the many picturesque lakes that the Rockies have to offer.
- Check the websites for Sunshine, Mount Norquay and Lake Louise to find the hours of operation and trail conditions
Dust off your road bike
- It looks like Calgary has seen the last of the snow, for the next five months at least – fingers crossed! So it’s the perfect time to get out your road bike and head down to the river for some beautiful views and a great afternoon of adventures, exploring Calgary’s bike paths.
- What: Looking for a quick escape from the every day grind? This brand new spa combines the tranquil rejuvenation of a traditional Nordic Spa and the Alpine stillness of the Canadian Rockies. This spa is meant to provide relaxation and give you the opportunity to discover clarity in the midst of the mountains.
- Where: 1 Centennial Drive, Kananaskis
- What: Board game cafe’s make a great first date, as there are lots of icebreaker opportunities to make it very obvious if there will be a second date in the cards. Alternatively, it’s a a fun way to hang out with friends and spice up a usual catch-up coffee affair. Plus, there is nothing wrong with some healthy competition!
- Hexagon Board Game Cafe – #200 1140 Kensington Road NW, Calgary
- Boxcar Board Game Cafe – 1215 1st Street SW, Calgary
- What: Coming all the way from the National Museum of New Zealand Te Papa Tongarewa, this exciting exhibition has been travelling North America for the last 10 years and Calgary marks it’s final destination. Excite your senses with this unique cultural experience that will show you everything you need to know about the king of the ocean; the whale. The exhibit shows everything from life-size whale skeletons to the evolution of these creatures and understanding how they communicate. There is so much to know about these beautiful beings.
- When: January 20 to June 20
- Where: Telus Spark – 220 St. George’s Drive NE
- Tickets: Online, $26
- What: With so many exciting events coming up there is no better place to get prepared than this local market. Find one-of-a-kind gems for any occasion while supporting some amazing artisans from all over central Alberta!
- When: Saturday, April 28
- Time: 10:30 am to 4 pm
- Where: Olds Collage Alumni Centre – 4500, 50 Street Olds
- Tickets: Online, $10 to $20
Sunday, April 29
- What: For the month of March get re-balanced and start your Sunday off right with a free bootcamp class curtesy of Caron Anderson at the CORE. Time to get your summer bod started!
- When: Every Sunday in April
- Time: 11 am
- Where: Dome Tower – 333, 7th Avenue SW
- Admission: FREE
- What: After sweeping the 2014 Banff International String Quartet Competition, these guys have absolutely blown up! The New Yorker has even announced that they are “the young American string quartet of the moment!”
- When: April 29 to 30
- Tuesday: 7 pm
- Wednesday: 8 pm
- Where: Macewan Hall – 402 Collegiate Boulevard NW
- Tickets: Online, $35 to $45
- What: Get inspired as you stroll through beautiful photographs taken by the famous and fascinating Frida Kahlo. There are more than 240 pieces that were kept in her home, ‘The Blue House,” for over 50 years under her estate. Visitors will have the opportunity to better understand the woman behind the artist; her origins, her roots, her friendships and romantic relationships, her fragile health, her political tendencies, and her special relationship with photography. This is the first time this exhibition has ever been presented in Canada!
- When: February 3 to May 21, 2018
- Where: The Glenbow Museum – 130 9th Avenue SE, Calgary
- Admission: Regular admission
- What: XO is located in the heart of one of Calgary’s newest communities, Auburn Bay. Paying tribute to the old fashioned ice cream parlours and mom-and-pop shops, they have aimed to create an ice cream experience with flavours that are both nostalgic and creative, sparking memories across generations – past, present, and future!
- Where: 808, 100 Auburn Meadows Drive SE
Cocktail Happy Hour
- What: The only thing better than sitting down to a delicious cocktail after work is not having to pay full price for it! $16 drinks can sometimes put a damper the evening, depending on your budget. However, $5 to $9 cocktails are a serious game changer. Psst! Don’t forget to check out reverse happy hours as well and drink for cheap well into the night!
- The Wednesday Room – 100 – 118 8th Avenue SW, Calgary
- Cleaver – 102 – 524 17th Avenue SW, Calgary
- Gringo Street – 102, 524 17th Avenue SW, Calgary
- Craft Beer Market – 345 10th Avenue SW, Calgary
- Last Best Brewing & Distilling – 607 11th Avenue SW, Calgary
- Two Penny Chinese – 1213 1st Street SW, Calgary
- Calcutta Cricket Club – 340 – 17th Avenue SW, Calgary
- Goro + Gun – #245 – 225 7th Avenue SW, Calgary
- What: Head to the summit for a beautiful snowy view above the treetops and a birds-eye view of six different mountain ranges, while sipping on coffee or a refreshing glass of wine.
- Where: 100 Mountain Avenue, Banff
- Tickets: Adult $62, child $31