There’s no more aptly named day than Sunday — at least as far as today is concerned.
Soak up that sun by heading outside and checking out any one of the great events taking place around Calgary.
- The best and wildest waterslides to hit this summer in Canada
- National Music Centre launch special exhibition on Barenaked Ladies
- Calgary vs. Edmonton: Who can get the most restaurants to go straw-free?
- What: For the month of May, start your Sunday off right with a free boot camp class courtesy of Caron Anderson at the CORE. Time to get started on your summer bod!
- When: Every Sunday in April
- Time: 11 am
- Where: Dome Tower – 333, 7th Avenue SW
- Cost: FREE
- What: The long wait is finally over! The Calgary Zoo has officially welcomed four pandas, two adults and two cubs, in their newly built habitat, The Panda Passage. These furry black and white friends are charming and have a ton to teach us in the five years that they will be with us before returning to China.
- When: Anytime during regular zoo hours
- Where: The Calgary Zoo — 210 St. Georges Drive NE
- Admission: Regular admission to the zoo
- What: Come shop the all-natural, preservative-free skin care products from Essentials by Nature throughout the month of May at Greater Goods Boutique and Tea Bar, located in the heart of Bridgeland. You’ll be supporting a local —and extremely talented — small business while purchasing products that are good for you, your home, and the environment.
- Where: Greater Goods – #8 606 Meredith Road NE
- When: The entire month of May
- What: Come grab a fire-roasted pizza from you’re favourite neighbourhood pizza shop, Famoso’s on 4th, and check out their new renovations. A gorgeous centre bar, natural lighting, cosy booths, and more, they have really taken the concept of a local pizza eatery to the next level. Step into Italy and enjoy!
- When: Opened early April
- Where: 2303 4th Avenue SW
- What: When Annie Oakley’s brother goes missing there is only one pair of detectives right for the job. Follow along as Sherlock and Watson work to solve the mystery and end up in some unplanned situations involving inventions, robbery, and murder.
- When: May 12 to June 10
- Time: Varies per day
- Where: Vertigo Theatre – 161, 115 9th Avenue SE
- Tickets: Contact the ticket office at 403-221-3708
- What: If you’re looking for an experience of a lifetime then it’s time you see the Alberta landscape from a completely different view – the air! Grab a few friends and take a ride in a state-of-the-art helicopter for incredible views of the city and the surrounding Rocky Mountains.
- Where: Takes off from the Springbank Airport or Drumheller Airport – 402 Otter Bay
- When: Year-round
- Cost: Between $400 to $1,6000, rate for up to three passengers
Go on a spring hike!
- What: Now that most of the snow has cleared away, grab your hiking shoes and head up to the Rockies for some fresh mountain air and stunning scenic views – just don’t forget your camera! Try Grassi Lakes, Johnston Canyon, or Grotto Canyon if you’re looking for an adventure a bit shorter in length, but doesn’t compromise the quality of the view. If you’re a thrill seeker and up for the challenge try out Ha Ling Peak, Crypt Lake, or Aylmer Lookout, because the end view will take your breath away – literally! Find more hikes to do around Alberta here!
- Where: The Canadian Rocky Mountains
- What: Head to the summit for a beautiful view above the treetops and a birds-eye view of six different mountain ranges, while sipping on coffee or a refreshing glass of wine.
- Where: 100 Mountain Avenue, Banff
- Tickets: Adult $62, child $31
- What: Did someone say road trip? Grab some pals and your camera and go cruising on this stretch of highway between Jasper and Lake Louise. The views are tremendous, but just make sure you don’t limit you to one single destination. It’s all about the drive and what you’ll discover!
- Where: Highway between Jasper and Lake Louise
Dust off your road bike
- It looks like Calgary has seen the last of the snow, for the next five months at least – fingers crossed! So it’s the perfect time to get out your road bike and head down to the river for some beautiful views and a great afternoon of adventures, exploring Calgary’s bike paths.
- What: Looking for a quick escape from the everyday grind? This brand new spa combines the tranquil rejuvenation of a traditional Nordic Spa and the Alpine stillness of the Canadian Rockies. This spa is meant to provide relaxation and the opportunity to discover clarity in the midst of the mountains.
- Where: 1 Centennial Drive, Kananaskis