It may be the end of the week, but there’s no end to fun events going on around the city this Sunday.
Take a look at our list and find something suitable to live it up on your last day off the weekend!
…. or you’ll be wishing you had come Monday.
- BC woman calls cops on beaver during most Canadian 'break-in' ever
- Calgary to start accepting cannabis store applications next week
- You can fly from Alberta to Ontario for only $99 this summer
- What: Get inspired as you stroll through beautiful photographs taken by the famous and fascinating Frida Kahlo. There are more than 240 pieces that were kept in her home, ‘The Blue House,” for over 50 years under her estate. Visitors will have the opportunity to better understand the woman behind the artist; her origins, her roots, her friendships and romantic relationships, her fragile health, her political tendencies, and her special relationship with photography. This is the first time this exhibition has ever been presented in Canada!
- When: February 3 to May 21, 2018
- Where: The Glenbow Museum – 130 9th Avenue SE, Calgary
- Admission: Regular admission
- What: It’s baaaaack! Calgary Poutine week takes over the minds, hearts, and stomachs of YYC for seven days of the year every April. During this week you can indulge in your favourite all Canadian fry and gravy combination guilt free, as each poutine sold will provide a free meal to someone in need through Mealshare. In 2017, 8,000 poutines were consumed, which resulted in 8,000 youth receiving a free meal. Doubling that shouldn’t be a problem, right Calgary?
- When: April 20 to 28
- Where: See participating restaurants here!
- What: Enjoy a three-day celebration featuring performers and Rock n’ Roll Bands surrounding the culture that is 4/20, along with eclectic art, makers, and many other local vendors and enthusiasts.
- When: April 20 to 22
- Where: Distortion – 3828 Macleod Trail SW
- Tickets: Online, $69
- What: Coming all the way from the National Museum of New Zealand Te Papa Tongarewa, this exciting exhibition has been travelling North America for the last 10 years and Calgary marks it’s final destination. Excite your senses with this unique cultural experience that will show you everything you need to know about the king of the ocean; the whale. The exhibit shows everything from life-size whale skeletons to the evolution of these creatures and understanding how they communicate. There is so much to know about these beautiful beings.
- When: January 20 to June 20
- Where: Telus Spark – 220 St. George’s Drive NE
- Tickets: Online, $26
- What: Spring is back and so are the food trucks! Join YYCFoodTrucks for their first event of the year, kicking off yet another summer full of great food, music, community, and fun-filled events.
- When: April 21 to 22
- Time: 11 am to 7 pm
- Where: East Village C-Square
- Admission: $5, Kids under 12 FREE
- What: Head to the summit for a beautiful snowy view above the treetops and a birds-eye view of six different mountain ranges, while sipping on coffee or a refreshing glass of wine.
- Where: 100 Mountain Avenue, Banff
- Tickets: Adult $62, child $31
National Geographic Live: Standing at the Water’s Edge with marine biologist and photographer Cristina Mittermeier
- What: Photojournalist Cristina Mittermeier documented a society that relied on their local water way to survive during her time with the Kayapoo people in the Amazon. If anyone knows the the power of water, it’s her! Join her for an afternoon as she shares her unreal photography, tells some powerful stories, and explores the concept of “enoughness,” AKA taking only what you need.
- When: April 22 and 23
- Sunday: 2 pm
- Monday: 7 pm
- Where: Jack Singer Concert Hall – 205 8th Avenue SE
- Tickets: Online, $32 to $83
- What: Learn how to create beautiful patterns on fabric using flowers and natural colour. You will bring home a trendy, one-of-a-kind scarf that is personalized, designed, and created by you!
- When: Sunday, April 22
- Time: 1 to 5 pm
- Where: 924 17th Avenue SW
- Tickets: Online, $110
- What: For the month of March get re-balanced and start your Sunday off right with a free bootcamp class curtesy of Caron Anderson at the CORE. Time to get your summer bod started!
- When: Every Sunday in April
- Time: 11 am
- Where: Dome Tower – 333, 7th Avenue SW
- Cost: FREE
Hit the slopes for spring skiing
- What: Our mountainous backyard is just waiting for us with a fluffy layer of the white stuff, perfect for winter sports and activities. Take advantage and get some spring shredding in, or take your snowshoes for an adventure around one of the many picturesque lakes that the Rockies have to offer.
- Check the websites for Sunshine, Mount Norquay and Lake Louise to find the hours of operation and trail conditions
Dust off your road bike
- It looks like Calgary may be seeing the last of the snow, for the next five months at least – fingers crossed! So it’s the perfect time to get out your road bike and head down to the river for some beautiful views and a great afternoon of adventures, exploring Calgary’s bike paths.
- What: Looking for a quick escape from the every day grind? This brand new spa combines the tranquil rejuvenation of a traditional Nordic Spa and the Alpine stillness of the Canadian Rockies. This spa is meant to provide relaxation and give you the opportunity to discover clarity in the midst of the mountains.
- Where: 1 Centennial Drive, Kananaskis
- What: XO is located in the heart of one of Calgary’s newest communities, Auburn Bay. Paying tribute to the old fashioned ice cream parlours and mom-and-pop shops, they have aimed to create an ice cream experience with flavours that are both nostalgic and creative, sparking memories across generations – past, present, and future!
- Where: 808, 100 Auburn Meadows Drive SE