The Avengers have assembled some mighty impressive box office numbers since last week’s premiere and Avengers: Endgame now holds the biggest opening weekend in Canada ever.
With just a quick snap of their fingers, the latest Marvel flick has now amassed over $1.2 billion, worldwide, and it hasn’t yet been screening for a week.
According to numbers from Box Office Mojo, Avengers: Endgame gobbled up $350 million in the US during its opening weekend run and $28.5 million in Canada.
- Google gets in on the Avengers: Endgame hype with this Thanos-themed Easter Egg
- The return of Game of Thrones' Ghost was due in part to a Calgary crew
- Street musician drops harmonica cover of Game of Thrones theme song (VIDEO)
- Seth Rogen's 'cameo' in new Star Wars trailer goes viral
Endgame’s opening weekend in The Great White North bested last year’s record-setting weekend opening when Avengers: Infinity War made $19.7 million.
— Marvel Canada (@MarvelEntCA) April 28, 2019
For those keeping track, Disney now owns all five of Canada’s biggest box office opening weekends:
- Avengers: Endgame (2019) – $28.5 million
- Avengers: Infinity War (2018) – $19.7 million
- Star Wars: The Force Awakens (2015) – $18.6 million
- Star Wars: The Last Jedi (2017) – $17.2 million
- The Avengers (2012) – $14.6 million
Avengers: Endgame, the culmination of 22 Marvel films that started with 2008’s Iron Man, became the only film in history to pass the worldwide $1 billion mark during its opening weekend.
Marvel movies have generated a combined $19 billion worldwide since the massive scope began in 2008. Nine of the 10 biggest global openings have premiered in the past four years.
The final installment in the first chapter of the Marvel Cinematic Universe obliterated the previously held highest-grossing opening weekend by nearly twice as much as Avengers: Infinity War took in $640.5 million around the world last year.
At this pace, it seems like Earth’s Mightiest Heroes might actually have a chance at taking over the universe.