The Vancouver Police Department (VPD) has announced that they’ll be bolstering their police presence as Halloween draws closer.
In a press conference earlier today, it was announced that there would be a surplus of officers in the Granville Entertainment District, as well as extra patrols near both schools and parks.
“We’re going to make sure that everyone is playing by the rules,” says VPD Constable Jason Doucette.
“We often see an increase of calls the Saturday night leading up to Halloween. Last year, between 5 pm and 5 am, we saw a 70% increase in call volume,” he explained.
The following tips were also given to help increase safety for those on the streets and in vehicles:
- When picking a costume, ensure that any fake weapons are clear imitations and stay concealed while in public areas.
- Use reflective tape, glow sticks, or flashlights to remain visible.
- If using fireworks, know that roman candles, bottle rockets, and firecrackers are illegal and subject to a $500 fine.
- If impaired, whether by alcohol or cannabis, find alternate methods of transportation.
- If driving, be patient, slow down, and exercise increased awareness for children who may be excited, running around, and not looking for vehicles.