The Vancouver Whitecaps will be effectively be the Portland Whitecaps for the remainder of the season.
Or maybe they can be the Vancouver, Washington Whitecaps?
Regardless, a closed border and Canada’s 14-day quarantine law is wreaking havoc for the ‘Caps, who were left without a home for the rest of 2020.
Major League Soccer released the remainder of the 2020 regular season schedule today, with no games scheduled to be played at BC Place.
Instead, the Whitecaps will call Providence Park in Portland home for the rest of the season, beginning this Sunday, though that will probably feel more like a road match given they’re playing the Portland Timbers.
After playing Toronto FC and the Montreal Impact three times each, with matches played entirely within Canada, the Whitecaps crossed the border for a road win against Real Salt Lake on Saturday.
That improved Vancouver’s regular season record to 5-7-0 and pushed them into a playoff spot in the MLS Western Conference.
The Whitecaps’ next match is on the road against LAFC, which is the first of five remaining away matches. They’ll play six “home” matches in Portland, culminating with Decision Day on November 8 against the LA Galaxy at Providence Park.
All remaining matches have been scheduled to minimize travel time, meaning that visiting teams are arriving and departing on match day for the majority of games. For that reason, Vancouver’s remaining schedule is filled entirely with matches against Seattle, Portland, Salt Lake, and the three California teams.
Here’s the remaining schedule:
- Wed, Sep 23 @ LAFC, 7:30 pm PT
- Sun, Sep 27 vs Portland Timbers, 7 pm PT
- Sat, Oct 3 @ Seattle Sounders, 7 pm PT
- Wed, Oct 7 @ San Jose Earthquakes, 7:30 pm PT
- Sat, Oct 10 @ Real Salt Lake, 7 pm PT
- Wed, Oct 14 vs LAFC, 7 pm PT
- Sun, Oct 18 @ LA Galaxy, 7:30 pm PT
- Sat, Oct 24 vs San Jose Earthquakes, 7 pm PT
- Tue, Oct 27 vs Seattle Sounders, 7 pm PT
- Sun, Nov 1 @ Portland Timbers, 7 pm PT
- Sun, Nov 8 vs LA Galaxy, 3:30 pm PT