Chalk up another win and a little more pride for one of British Columbia’s most famous institutions.
The University of British Columbia (UBC) placed 38th in the 2018 Times Higher Education World University Reputation Rankings.
The annual study surveys a select group of senior, published academics and asks them to name no more than 15 universities that they believe are the best for research and teaching in their field.
UBC improved marginally from their 2017 rankings, where they placed 40th on the list.
They finish as the second highest Canadian school behind the University of Toronto which tied for 22nd with Switzerland’s ETH Zurich, moving up two spots from 2017, and in front of Montreal’s McGill University which placed 41st, up one spot from last year.
The survey was conducted between January and March 2018. The results were released on May 30.
Harvard University took the top spot for the eighth consecutive year, with the US playing home to 43 other institutions making the top 100.
The Top 25 World Reputation Ranking According to Times:
- Harvard University, US
- Massachusetts Institute of Technology, US
- Stanford University, US
- University of Cambridge, UK
- University of Oxford, UK
- University of California, Berkely, US
- Princeton University, US
- Yale University, US
- University of California, Los Angeles, US
- University of Chicago, US (tied for 9th)
- California Institute of Technology, US
- Columbia University, US
- The University of Tokyo, JP
- Tsinghua University, CN
- Univerity of Michigan, US
- University of Pennsylvania, US
- Peking University, CN
- Cornell University, US
- UCL, UK
- Imperial College London, UK
- Johns Hopkins University, US
- ETH Zurich – Swiss Federal Institute of Technology Zurich, ZH
- University of Toronto, CA (tied for 22)
- National University of Singapore, SG
- London School of Economics and Political Science, UK
–with files from Ainsley Smith