The evolving COVID-19 health safety regulations have forced the official postponement of the inaugural Concord’s New Year’s Eve fireworks celebration at East False Creek and Concord Pacific Place, previously planned for December 31, 2020.
The annual fireworks celebration, previously held at Coal Harbour and the Vancouver Convention Centre, attracted upwards of 100,000 spectators annually. However, with the current restrictions on public gatherings, this year’s relocated event is not possible.
- See also:
“With the safety of our volunteers, vendors, and guests in mind, we knew that we could not go ahead with this year’s pre-planned fireworks spectacular,” said Dani Pretto, the chair of the Vancouver New Year’s Eve Celebration Society (VNYECS), in a statement.
“The annual fireworks are an exciting and well-loved tradition, and as such, they would undoubtedly have drawn very large crowds to all optimal viewing sites. Understanding that 2020 is a very different and challenging year, especially where festivals and events are concerned, we made the difficult decision to postpone this year’s fireworks show.”
The inaugural spectacular at False Creek, now scheduled for next year, December 31, 2021, includes fireworks launched from multiple barges, other special features, and innovative activations, such as the synchronization of the surrounding landmark building lights with the fireworks.
“While this year’s event is not possible, we look forward to working with the Vancouver New Year’s Eve Celebration Society to plan something even bigger and better for next year. This has been an extraordinary year on many fronts, and although it’s disappointing that we aren’t able to ring in the New Year as a community, there have been so many other inspiring ways our community has come together throughout this pandemic,” said Matt Meehan, Senior Vice-President of Planning for Concord Pacific.
“Concord Pacific would like to thank our front line workers and essential workers, as well as the City of Vancouver, for the many ways that they have shown up for us these past few months and kept our health and safety the top priority. We also hope that Vancouverites can continue to support our local small businesses in the coming months, many of whom are struggling to keep their doors open right now. We look forward to celebrating our strong, resilient community next year with a newly-reimagined New Year’s celebration like no other.”
Royce Chwin, the president and CEO of Tourism Vancouver, adds: “More than ever, in these uncertain times, our communities look forward to celebrations that mark a sense of new beginnings.”
“Concord’s New Year’s Eve Celebration is a treasured event in our city, but the health and safety of our communities are of the utmost importance. As an important part of Vancouver’s fulsome events calendar, we look forward to safely welcoming the celebration back in 2021. We know it will be well worth the wait.”
Daily Hive is a Proud Founding Partner of the
Vancouver New Year’s Eve Celebration Society
- See also: