Uber is launching a new same-day contactless delivery feature, allowing users to send packages to family and friends across Vancouver, Calgary, Edmonton, Toronto, Ottawa, and Montreal.
The ridesharing company’s initiative is “designed to make life a little bit easier during these times,” according to a release.
Uber Connect will be available through the Uber app and include ways to send packages, items, and goods to others as well as the option to sell items by delivery.
- See also:
“During this challenging time for Canadians we wanted to create an affordable and quick way for people to send items to each other,” Matthew Price, general manager of Uber Canada, said. “This feature helps people save time and minimizes the need to travel, while helping people stay connected. We know Canadians want to help each other out and have seen a tremendous sense of community rise up in the recent weeks.”
How it works:
- Package the items in a sealed box or bag, wiping down surfaces with disinfectant.
- Tell your driver “Where to?” in your Uber app.
- Choose Uber Connect as the ride (you may have to swipe up for the option).
- Follow the notifications: You’ll get notifications providing instructions on how to help ensure a smooth pickup and when your driver is arriving, just like a trip with Uber. As you see the car approach in the app, you should head outside and load your item into the car’s trunk.
- Share the trip status with up to five people in your contact list. Unless it’s a surprise gift, one of these should be the recipient so they can easily monitor the delivery’s progress.
Uber Connect launches across participating Canadian cities this weekend.